Manifold heater?

cuba_pete

I have searched the forum, but there are 500 hits that come up dry as far was I was willing to look. My '72 Commando has the original 258, but the intake is newer, with blocked off emissions ports. The manifold heater is missing. I have a huge problem spitting raw and not fully burned product from the tailpipe, resulting in nauseated kids who hate to ride in the cool truck. I know I need a re-ring and probably need to rebuild the head (due to oil loss).

Short term, does the manifold heater really need to be put in? I am thinking this will improve burn rate and thereby help with the smell. When I check inside of the manifold, there is always gas puddled where the heater used to be. I know this engine doesn't suck hard enough to pull the mix the long distances needed, so I just want to help it along.

On that note, where do I get a manifold heater?

I can't see being without the manifold heater, causing much grief, after the motor warms up.

That's an excellent, easy suggestion. I put in those pulstar things last year, but they don't seem to be doing much for me. I don't know what the smell was like before, when I bought it, because it was leaking gas around the plugged off pollution holes, then I did the tune-up and fixed the leaks. Plus, the gas tank was leaking at the sensor plug. Messy.

Back