Messing with a 1943 Ford GPW Jeep

cheesy

Man, I wish I'd had my camera with me to post pics of this cool old Jeep.

I had rebuilt the Carter WO carb for the owner and as he dropped off the carb to me AND supplied the kit, I told him a ride in the vehicle would be more than enough payment.

Long story short, I got the carb mounted and adjusted today and off we went through the cornfield canyons of Illinois. The little four banger side valve engine just purred as we cruised along at 45mph for about a half hour. We got a thumbs up from just about everybody going the other way. We stopped at a local drive-in eatery for a cheeseburger and the little vehicle drew quite a crowd. I felt I was well payed for a couple hours work.

A little bit about the Jeep. It's a fully restored Ford GPW, set up as a Military Police vehicle with all the goodies. The owner, a retired pilot, told me two things about it. He taught all his kids to drive in it and that it was designed for 140 lb teenagers to get in and out of. As I'm north of fifty and haven't seen 140lbs since high school, I had to agree.;)

It sure looked tiny parked next to my Wrangler Unlimited.

They are pretty neat. A few years back, i built and installed a full roll cage and stretched the front to accomodate an inline 6 on a 42 Ford GPW. It was tough for me to do this on a piece of history but it was the owners choice. I like the little compartments it has on the rear wheel wells .

Man, I wish I'd had my camera with me to post pics of this cool old Jeep. =QUOTE]

Still no picts bummer:cry::D

worthless-1.gif

i keep looking at those old jeeps on craigslist and thinking i should just say screw it and buy one. we have a wrangler for a daily driver, might as well get something off the wall for my jeep. i just can't get myself to do it since i occasionally have to make the couple hour drive to houston, san antonio, or brownsville in my vehicle.

it sure would be sweet to do in an old military style jeep though

i keep looking at those old jeeps on craigslist and thinking i should just say screw it and buy one. we have a wrangler for a daily driver, might as well get something off the wall for my jeep. i just can't get myself to do it since i occasionally have to make the couple hour drive to houston, san antonio, or brownsville in my vehicle.

it sure would be sweet to do in an old military style jeep though
You could conceivably do the street rod restomod thing. Old-school body hiding a modern drivetrain. EFI, overdrive, put a top on it and even hide an A/C unit (hey, it's Texas). I'm just sayin'.... Of course there is always that pesky money problem.

Back