1976 j10

garedneck79

I recently got a 76 j10 and was looking to lift it about 3 to 5 inches . I've heard shackles kits would lift it about 1to 2 inches. I've also looked into add a leafs. I was wondering how hard it is to put these on? Could I do both? Would this mess with angle of drive shafts, steering, alignment, etc Wat other parts would I need. Thanks

Best and easiest would be to get a complete lift kit from BJ's offroad

But define shackle kits?
are you simply refering to a lift shackle? It's been a while since I was poking around under the back of a J truck but I believe it won't work, the spring pivots above the frame mount instead of under it. but I could be wrong, like I mentioned, been a long time.

Now, similar to what chevy guys do, you can remove the shackle hanger and flip it and that will give yo usome lift and it also moves the spring to be under the hanger which would allow you to run a lift shackle.

I would go with full replacement leaves. Add a leafs on a 34 year old leaf won't do much but give it a stiffer ride.

On my '76 the rear shackle was flippable (later ones are boxed in) like my '73 J4000 and I needed longer shocks with a 10 degree axle shim to even it out with a longer driveshaft. (I put a Dana 60 in place of the Dana 44 so I didn't need to swap the driveshaft)
I was going to do a SOA front on the '76 ('73 was stock SOA) like I did my '83 J10 (you can see it on virtualjeep.com ) but I bought an '82 Honcho I'm fixing up instead.

Back