Ford guy with a Jeep needs some guidance.

bruin52

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1977 J10 but before pulling the trigger on the deal, I want to know how hard it is to find body parts for. The ones on it aren't beat up but they'll need more than patching up the holes. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I am not sure about were you are at! In Wash these rigs are all over the place.. not as much aftermarket support for body parts!
So is this a automatic with the quadra trac?
If it is a V8 it should be a 360 or 401.. both are good engines and easily swapable to a Ford or Chevy V8?
Diffs can be a few diff ones so take a look before you buy and see if there are gear tags and that someone hasn't modified it just to get rid of it. Usually you will get 3.54's for gears?
Post pics!

Sorry, I'm located in Eastern Ohio north of Wheeling, WV. I'm hoping to find an aftermarket company that caters to the J-series and Wagoneer and such. I don't think it's been modified. The body isn't all beat up so I think it was cared for except for regular washings.. Can't be sure on the engine, I haven't really took a good look at the Jeep, just a walkaround to inspect the body. I do believe it has a manual transmission in it. I'm a Ford guy here but appreciate and respect the Jeep legacy and have been the proud owner of a Cherokee Sport. So I'm new in the Jeep world and my contact list isn't as long as the one for my Fords. Thanks for the info so far and I'll post some pics if I take ownership of it. Happy Wheeling!

Well, I did a thorough inspection on the J10 and after speaking with the owner I'm going to pass on it. It has the inline six that will need rebuilt, all body panels will need replaced, and the bench seat looks like something out of the rear of a mini van. He's got it priced for $800. Would $500 be a fair price for it for the engine before a rebuild, transmission and transfer case and the Dana 44's. I could use those parts for future builds or rebuild and sell for restoration projects. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

i had one just like it. tough truck,ran great but burned more oil than gas lol. icouldn't kill it, sold it for $500. the darned thing is still running around lol. i don't think you would go wrong,they have good parts

Depends on your future build!
The D44's will be 3:54 or higher geared probably! Re-gearing will cost to much..
The disc front end is worth 50 bucks for the outer Disc brake stuff..
If its a 4 speed. You can get 100.00 for the trany! you have to change the input shaft!
If its a D20 t-case its worth 50.00-100.00
And you may be ableto get 100.00 for the engine!

So Iwould offer 300.00 and call it good!
There is lots of these out there!

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like I'm going to pass on this one. I'll look for an XJ to build for my wife for a trail rig.

Back