Electronic throttle control

jaybyvan

Last night the ETC warning light came on my 2008 Jeep Compass 2x4. And the damn thing wouldn't turn over (after about the third or forth try it did). Just wondering if anyone could provide some insight into this problem. What needs to be changed out, is it an easy repair or should I take it in to be fixed.

Bought the jeep new and this is the first problem I've had with her. Just over 116000 kms

It could be one of 3 reasons why the ETC lamp would turn on. Pedal position sensor, ETC( electronic throttle control) A.K.A. throttle body or a wiring issue. In some cases, hard acceleration at heavy loads, highway speeds and extended driving time, if the transmission reaches a high temperature threshold, the ETC will turn on and reduce the engine power output to a limp in speed to prevent damage to the trans.

SteelHeadz said:
It could be one of 3 reasons why the ETC lamp would turn on. Pedal position sensor, ETC( electronic throttle control) A.K.A. throttle body or a wiring issue. In some cases, hard acceleration at heavy loads, highway speeds and extended driving time, if the transmission reaches a high temperature threshold, the ETC will turn on and reduce the engine power output to a limp in speed to prevent damage to the trans.

Thank you very much for the speedy reply.

There is a way of resetting it. You do this if you put a new ordeal sensor in.

I'll have to look. I posted it up within the last year.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Try this it relearns the throttle pedal position.

ECU Accelerator Pedal Reset Procedure Note Timing is critical for this to work! 1. Turn the ignition switch to on. Dash gauges lit. Don t start the engine! 2. Wait 3 seconds. 3. Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times within 5 second. 4. Wait 7 to 10 seconds. 5. Fully depress the accelerator pedal for approximately 10 seconds. At this point the check engine light starts blinking quickly indicating Diagnostic Test Mode II (Self-diagnostic results) has started. 6. Release accelerator pedal and wait 5 to 10 seconds. 7. Fully depress the accelerator pedal for 10 seconds. At this point the check engine light should change to blinking slowly indicating “Erasing ECU Memory”. 8. Release the accelerator pedal and turn the ignition switch to off. 9. Restart the engine. The check engine light should be out. Note: If the check engine light doesn't blink as described in steps 5 & 7, then the ECU isn't reset. * If above didn't work, disconnect the battery negative and pump the brake to discharge the ECU capacitors. This method is almost foolproof as long as all ECU control parameters are within their normal ranges.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Back