Gas & Exhaust

Smoken wires and now this sounds like you are i need of a good fire extinguishur. lol I would not get to close if I had the choice. Tug[addsig]

Yes by all means keep the hot exaust system away from your tank. This is just simple common sence. I am guessing here but I don't want them to be any closer than 4 to 6 inches. I do not know a real rule of thumb or any thing here but the more distance from the fule tank to the heat source the better. Tug[addsig]

In a YJ factory set up, the pipe is just a couple of inches from the tank, but it is a plastic tank and won't transfer as much heat as a metal tank. I would avoid getting to close. More important is to make sure your exhaust is not to close to fuel lines, that would be more of a concern to me![addsig]

carriss,

Good question. Why did you ask? Are you modifying your system? Do you have a steel or plastic tank?

If you have to route your exhaust by your tank, you're probably concerned about that area on the passenger side of the rig for the rear pipe, correct?

Or, are you thinking about running the pipe under the tank?

blue
[addsig]

in my case, I got spare parts. Found another exactly like mine , that doesn't run, for parts. I have a rusted '77 J10 withgreat running gear. The "parts" truck has perfect body.
A metal shield between the pipes and the tank should help ease your mind if under about 6".

edited by: jaber, Apr 02, 2003 - 11:26 PM[addsig]

Heat rises -- never, ever run an exhaust pipe under a gas tank. To the side is okay no less than 4" (at the very absolute minimum). If its that close, its also better to raise it vertically so it runs parallel to the top of the tank so that the rising heat will hit less area of the tank.[addsig]

the exhaust pipe and fuel lines are run down opposite sides of your truck for a reason........................[addsig]

Back