Jeep Comanchie questions?

flatie46

My son is going to look at a Comanchie this weekend. It's a friend of a friend kind of thing. He's needing something cheap to drive and this one is at least priced right. ($500). I was really hopeing it was the 4.0 but it's not, It's a 2.8. I've had friends that have had G.M 2.8's in the past and it seemed that either you got a good one or you got a bad one. One question I have is, is this the exact same engine as in the early Blazers/S10's? How much trouble would it be to put a 4.0 in it? I'm guessing the underhood wire harness would have to be changed. Any help appreciated as always, thanks Mark.

Those trucks seem to be hard to find with the 4.0 in my area and when you do they are kinda pricey for they're age. I wished it was a 4.0 but if it pulls out of it's tracks it should be worth $500. I mean it'd prob crush for $400 so you really couldn't loose much.

Other than being underpowered, the 2.8 isn't a bad motor. He could live with it. At that age I would compression check the cylinders to make sure the head gaskets are okay.

you can probably put a 2.5 in really easily also but why go from a small 6 to a large 4?

do the swap to another chevy v6, like stated above. i read the difference is definitely worth the work

If you find a complete XJ/MJ with 2.5L and TBI or MPFI, then you will have an extra 50 hp over the 2.8L

We went and looked at the Comanchie and ended up buying it. It didn't run at first, the guy wanted $500 the way it sat. I asked him if it was ok if we tinkered with it, he said fine with him. We pulled the plugs which looked well worn put a new set in and sprayed a bit of starting fluid in it fired up and quickly died. Repeated this 3times then it ran. As I watched it run I noticed a bad fuel leak, then anthor. Aparently the carb couldn't get primed for it spitting all the fuel out on the ground. I noticed that their was no valve noise or chatter while it was running and it didn't smoke. The engine was pretty dry. It had a new battery, radiator and really good tires. The rear corner of the bed had damage and the drivers seat was well worn but it's a cheapie. So we paid the man and brought it home. We've got the fuel line to repair it, prob tackle it monday. My son really likes it, I do too. Yea I wished it was the 4.0 engine but for no more than he's in it, the good tires and all we're happy. I'll get him to post some pics of it. May just get him to join the forum.

After we had it running the man said, " Now if you don't want it I'd be glad to pay you for you time". I kinda felt bad that it was a simple fix that kept him from driving it and had motivated him to sell it. He had said if we didn't buy it he was going to have it towed to a mechanic. I do believe that if you couldn't do some of the things it needs youself you would loose you arse on it. He said he just didn't fool with mechanical stuff.

Tis a fool that won't even TRY to learn $omething!

Before you Totally Rule Out the 4.0 swap, Check the Year, Engine Options for it, and CHECK THE MEASUREMENTS!!!!! I have Seen guys put a 4.0 in what had a 4cyl.
THIS IS NOT A CHRYSLER DESIGN!!!!! IT IS AMERICAN MOTORS!!!!!
Designed By American Motors Corp., Built By AMC Assembly Trained workers, IN AMC Facilities.
Chrysler was an Economic thing, until the 4.2liter abomination. They Killed it Because it was Killing the Dodge Dakota, in Sales & Performance.

There is NO ""I"" in COMANCHE
Their isn't any power in a 2.8 Comanche either. Lol

My son has decided not to sink much money into this one. He's just kinda keeping it around for a second vehicle. I hope he'll jump in it when he gets the urge to go mudding instead of beating up his daily driver. I'll say this, I'm a big guy I love the interior of it. Not a bad fit for a small truck.

If the tail light lenses are in good shape you could probably get 300 bucks just for those .
When it takes a dump , part it out .

Back