ticking from the engine?

jerjeep80

I have an 05 jeep wrangler sport..it started making a ticking noise and continues no matter if I'm driving or parked..does any body have a solution?

Lifter tick? Exhaust leak? Idler pulley going out? Lot's of things it could be...where in/on the engine is the sound coming from?

start simple, check oil level. Lift the hood and see if you can tell where the tick is coming from, bottom of engine, top, passenger side, drivers side.. This will help pin the problem down such as the possibilities listed above.

Does it have good oil pressure? Sometimes an exaust leak can sound just like a bad lifter. Check manifold bolts and around doughnut gasketts.

Lifter tick? Exhaust leak? Idler pulley going out? Lot's of things it could be...where in/on the engine is the sound coming from?

It sounds like a lifter..my jeep only has 37000 miles on it and I just got it a month ago..I have always wanted one so I don't know much about it.

Does it have good oil pressure? Sometimes an exaust leak can sound just like a bad lifter. Check manifold bolts and around doughnut gasketts.

Yes it has great oil pressure...I will check the manifold bolts, thats for sure...thank you.

Whenever loud ticking is involved, the most likely source is the valvetrain, but the reason for that ticking isnt always clear. Most cars use hydraulic valve lifters that rely on oil pressure to maintain a tight clearance between the camshaft and rocker arm.

Back