Neutral safety switch

Any clue where my neutral safety switch is in a 2000 grand cherokee limited?
The neutral safety switch should be located on the transmission above the pan . It should be a plug that unthread from the transmission with an electrical plug . Some neutral switches are mounted on the auto floor shift but I believe your trans will have it on the transmission itself.
double check this however , your thread regarding help ! Jeep won't start , you posted that toggling the shift lever helps you to find starter engagement. That would be a switch mounted on the shifter. It seems to vary with models depending on trans installed . I think the V8 4.7 will have the switch on the trans and it might be the 4.0 I6 with it on the floor shift . The AW4 was not used on these jeeps to my knowledge and the neutral switch on this trans is on the trans on the selector shaft where the shift cable attaches.

Last edited:
A quick call to my dad's house ( they own a '99 & a '2000 ) and he said when my brother swapped in the trans from the '98 GC ( we lost that one ) my brother had to adjust shift cable to trans . The floor shift will have a shift interlock to the steering column so the ignition lock will also lock the shift lever. That is why you can toggle the shift lever and get the jeep to start. My dad and brother went through this . Check this adjustment first before swapping neutral safety switch.

A quick call to my dad's house ( they own a '99 & a '2000 ) and he said when my brother swapped in the trans from the '98 GC ( we lost that one ) my brother had to adjust shift cable to trans . The floor shift will have a shift interlock to the steering column so the ignition lock will also lock the shift lever. That is why you can toggle the shift lever and get the jeep to start. My dad and brother went through this . Check this adjustment first before swapping neutral safety switch.

Awesome will do thanks

Back