1957 Jeep forward control 150

rrn2go

Hello I just purchased a non running 57 jeep FC pickup and want to get it going but it has no battery Is it 6 volt system with Negative or positive ground? Thanks RRNGO

It could be either 6 or 12 volt and either positive or negative ground. Both was used around that time, and I don't know anything about the 6 volt system.

I think it's pos ground, not 100% sure. A friend had an early flat fender and it was 6volt pos ground. When they look up what battery size it calls for where you buy it they should know for sure. My 46 Plymouth is pos ground. Make sure if you run a 6volt battery that you have 6volt cables. 6volt systems require bigger cables, bigger cables allow more current in to turn it over better. Everybody will try to get you to switch to 12volt but if everything is working like it should there is no need to.

If the battery cables are still in the jeep, look at the battery clamps. The one with the largest post size is always plus, smaller is minus. Then find which one is on the chassis.
Sounds like a great toy...

Back