Help jeep xj is down for the count

jonathonadams

okay here's my issue. I was driving my 2001 Cherokee home from work and it just died on me. The engine will crank but not start. So I had it hauled to our local jeep guy. We change the crank position sensor, the cam position sensor and checked my computer in another jeep and it ran perfectly. We went through all fuses and relays. The fuel is giving fuel and fuel pressure to the fuel log. the coil is not getting power and neither is the the fuel injectors. So we took the coil rail off and put it on another jeep and it is getting spark. what do I do next other than junk it. it will crank till I get tired and it wont hit a lick.

Welcome to JEEPZ.com . While I don't have a proper wiring diagram for your model year , the charging system may be closely related to my 1992 and I will have a look at my shop manual soonest . The alternators fied supplies power to the ignition but I will have to trace where the injector voltage originates from before the PDC. The field on your alternator may be the cause of a sudden shutdown as you described. Have a look at it on the back of the alternator to see if it is damaged , burned out or inoperative. Since nothing else has been prevaliant , this may be a good place to check since your shut down sounds power related.

Back