Having trouble with 2006 wrangler (postal Jeep)

SHARON b

I posted in wrong forum the other day so will try again. My jeep is running hot quickly in hot weather conditions but great otherwise. Have been trying several things for the past two years. I went to autozone and pulled codes 171 and 174. Have looked at all intake lines and cannot see any leakage- Have replaced the fuelpump radiator and fan. My next step I believe will be the MAF. or front 02 sensor. I did get a new radiator cap it's rated 10lb and have looked into radiator am not losing coolant . I believe I'm running about 240() when sputtering and idol gets bumpy. I also noticed that my air filter looks like it's under a vacum of pressure? and a noticeable greasy or moist circle on underneath of the hood above the larger hose that attaches to the air filter casing. any suggestions would be helpful and greatly appreciated. thanks

Sounds like the water pump isnt pumping enough and needs replaced, and the cap needs to be an 18lb cap
Not really sure about the other problems

Originally Posted by SHARON b I have had my 2006 Jeep for about 4 yrs and have been having issues with it - The problem comes and goes- starts fine when cool but runs hot fast and then sputters and will not stay iidoling , once off will not start for 25 -30 min later. I have had the fuel pump changed (2yrs ago) then replaced the radiator- fan and thermostat, seems to run good when outside temp nice but when it get.s hot outside the problem starts all over. I checked the codes on odometer ,But don,t understand them-5 0f 5.1 72116 6us 6 8 06-02 ? Please Help- it's too hot in AZ to be stranded day after day- Thanks

The PCM will go into safe mode when running hot. This will cause it to sputter and stall... You need to address the overheating issue as this will eventually damage your engine. When you changed the radiator did you use stock? Most after market do not have the same fin count resulting in inefficient cooling. What temp do you run at normally? Is the overheating boiling out the coolant? If it does what temp is it at when this occurs? Have you ever changed the radiator cap? What lbs cap did you use? Did you refill and burp the system after overheating? When burping are the bubbles big or like small foam bubbles? Could you see the fluid move? Water pump impeller sometimes fail. Any coolant leaks? Check oil for chocolate milkshake

The radiator cap should be 18 lb. this increases the boiling point to ~270 deg. It also controls how much fluid gets pushed into the overflow.

Those are not codes. They are the version of PCM program.

Last edited:

tHANKS FOR INPUT WILL CHANGE RADIATOR CAP AND INSTALL MAF SAT. HOPW THESE HELP.

To get the codes the key from off it on position three times to a medium speed. Too fast or slow doesn't work. You will see your codes in the odometer followed by 'done.'

my wife's a mail carrier so I know there a lot of stop and go . you may want to add a electric fan to the other side of the radiator this should help keep it cool , also check your thermostat it may be stuck closed , and if you over heated as many times as you said you may have a cracked head or even a blown head gasket , once you over heat it's recommended to go through the whole system to prevent future over heating ,

Back