Wifes Liberty spark plug issue

glockmeister

The wife wanted a Jeep Liberty ( I know, I have an XJ) anyway, it was running rough and I was at work so her brother changed out her plugs. Now it won't start. I'm pretty sure he got the wires mixed up coming off the coil packs. I've never worked on her Jeep but shouldn't the wires go straight across from the coil packs? It's a 2011 3.7 engine.

The firing order on the 3.7 liter is 1-6-5-4--3-2 with cylinder #1 forward on the left bank. The left bank is the odd side , right bank is even . This is the same for the injector firing order as well. The coil pack should be numbered .

Last edited:
Correction : you've got the 2011 . Your engine will have coil on plug ( COP) . As long as the harness connectors reach the coils , they should be in their correct place. It's not likely the wrong conn cut or is plugged on the wrong coil . Are the coil boots seated properly ? Check if any damage has occurred the boots.

Correction : you've got the 2011 . Your engine will have coil on plug ( COP) . As long as the harness connectors reach the coils , they should be in their correct place. It's not likely the wrong conn cut or is plugged on the wrong coil . Are the coil boots seated properly ? Check if any damage has occurred the boots.
Boots are seated, he has 3 to 6 and 5 to 4. He swears that's how they were but I thought it would be straight across 5 to 6 and 3 to 4. I haven't tried swapping them yet for fear of screwing up the wife's Jeep.

Sorry that your still having problems . I don't have a 3.7 or a 4.7 liter on hand to confirm but the harness connectors for each coil should be marked with a number for each cylinder just as the harness connectors on the fuel injector harness is. Have you found such numbers ? I realize your hesitant for fear of damage but as I've stated , wiring harness is measured out to be the length needed to reach its connector. Are you stating that the wiring connectors can be stressed enough to reach the wrong coil ? I feel that would be too obvious and the harness would be out of place. Given this is a 2011 , I should think it's pristine under the hood and the wiring harness would be in place . Can you identify numbers on the connectors ?

2 wires will reach other plugs. I'm going to go look at the boots. Thanks for responding.

Your welcome . But I think you mean the harness plugs to the coils . The male connector from the engine harness should have the numbers . Usually they are small raised numbers and are not colored. Please take a good look.

Last edited:
Back