74 DJ5 Transmission Problems

Bhjjwookie

Hello Everyone, my first time to the forum. Looking to get some outside info on a problem in having with a project I picked up a couple weeks ago.

I bought a 74 DJ-5 project with the intention of turning it into a promotional car for my graphics business. When I purchased the Jeep I drove it up onto the trailer no problems. Got it home made one pass up the road then loss all power in the drive gears. After pulling the pan on the transmission looks like the previous owner put saw dust into the transmission to sell it. After flushing it a few times all I get is a little push in drive but then just spins. I pulled the transmission to get any codes on it. Figured out its a Borg Warner M-11 transmission according to the codes. The title for the jeep states it's a 4cyl but there's an inline 6 in it so I know it's been replaced at some point in time. Not sure the year or anything on the motor.

Anyone know where to find a rebuild kit for an M-11 transmission? Or another transmission typically switched out when they go. Iv heard the M-11s weren't the best out there.

image1-Optimized.JPG

image2-Optimized.JPG

image3-Optimized.JPG

image4-Optimized.JPG

image5-Optimized.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to Jeepz.com Bhjjwookie. It looks like your images didn't come through. If you have problems posting them, feel free to email them to me (webmaster at jeepz com) and I'll post them for you.

Welcome to jeepz.com . Did a fast internet search on the BW M11 and the comments posted didn't sound promising. Even if you found an NOS rebuild kit I don't think it sounds like a worth while venture . If you can find out what engine is currently in your dispatcher jeep , that will better help us to advise what trans swap would be a better solution. Bell housing adapters would make any trans swap easier but that can/will get involved and $$ will add up quick as you can imagine. Trans mounts , shift linkage , cooling lines , speedo cable , kick down or TV cables , ETC. may have your project behind and/or stalled with these kind of hang ups. Best to try to stay in the family of manufacture . If your engine is an AMC 258 or 4.0 liter for example , you could look for a TF 999 or 727 or even an AW4 from a Cherokee . You'll want to first take measurements of the trans bell to tail and its mounting to crossmember and driveshaft to help give some perspective what will be the easiest bolt in. Modifications are likely with cross members , exhaust , shift linkage , driveshaft length , etc. but taking into consideration that the chassis is based on a CJ chassis with some crossmember mod , it will be easier to work with the vision that your going with a CJ build to quicker expedite the trans swap. I think it's best to focus what difference the CJ and DJ chassis has to overcome any hold ups in making the install easier. The AW4 would involve some radical mod such as a TCM and wiring so it probably best to stick with something like a torque flite trans that CJ's and early YJ's had , I would say. I think you get my point on what direction to move in but I just feel the BW M11 should be filed under swap meet curio's. Hope this helps . Any comments from members are most welcome to help this project move in its intended direction. As Terry Mason suggested in reference to your pic's of the jeep , please post them to help us get some perspective of your jeeps powertrain/drivetrain. All pictures welcome .

I've fixed your Jeep pics.
Nice little Jeep.

Cast iron. Well , it will definately make a decent sail boat anchor. Your jeeps packin' a 232 or a 258 ? Guess you'll have to decode it to find out . Maybe you can locate a TF 999 since it will bolt up . A 727 would need the V8 to I6 bell housing adapter . Either way , if the shift linkage is different as I think it probably is , that's more engineering. Could we possibly talk you into hanging a Dana 30 up front to go with a Dana 20 t-case ? Probably only need to swap leaf springs .

His 74 dj should already have a dana20 tcase and dana 30 front axle with drums, and flanged dana 44 rear.

Back