1961 CJ5/ New frame

Bryce Mcmahon

I am looking to replace my old frame, and I found one on craigsist with everything redone, sandblasted and painted. even comes with the front and rear dana 40 and 44. The problem is he isnt sure what year it is but thinks its a 72' would anyone know if this will work on my jeep?

I do not know if it would work but best way is to grab a tape measure and start mesureing everything out ..total length of frame and where all the body mounts are located at.

im not sure exactly what year, but around 72 the frames got 3 extra inches up front, from the firewall up. The tub will fit, but if you use your current fenders and hood you may be a little short. With the added 3" those jeeps got longer hoods and fenders. Look at a 60,s jeeps front fenders then a later jeeps fenders down just behind the front tires and you will see the diff in the fender length.

Last edited:

Thanks 69jeepcj that seems to be what I have been seeing and hearing after a few calls yesterday, I was just hoping since it was a great deal, I mean come on, sand blasted and painted and has the tires and front and rear axles lol I just didnt want to pass it up, I may still get i just have to way my options more i guess. thank you for your help.

If it makes you feel better, I am wanting one of those frame for my 69 cj. Previous owner put a chevy 327 in it and moved the grill forward for more room, well now I have no room to mount a winch, (not enough bumper stick out) so I want to use a little longer frame to swap the body over to.

In "72 the frame was lengthened 3 inches for the AMC Straight 6. I think that's also when they went to a boxed frame. 1971 or older will fit our "61.

1972 was the first year for the 84" wheelbase. Yours is 81".
3"s were added in "72 for the AMC straight 6. A 1971 or older will fit your "61.

You might find a new frame isn't as expensive as you think for those. Also they are boxed and much stronger then any stock frame.

Back