1991 Comanche interior lights and radio not working

thepoorboy428

Not even a week ago, I purchased my first car, a 1991 Comanche, base model with a 4 cyl and a 5 speed manual and only 91,105 miles. It came with the few dents and scratches of a first car. Anyway, the radio and interior light (one is missing) will not work. My dad and I replaced a fuse on the FM/AM/tape player, and the accent lights for the buttons come on, but the clock or radio (The antenna is broken, but no sound will come out of the speakers anyway) will not function at all. We've looked at fuses in the fusebox and everything seems good. Anyone ever have this problem or have an idea of what is wrong? Also, where could I find a replacement to match or closely match the radio that came with it?

Attachments

• IMG_2731.JPG
    IMG_2731.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 21

It will be really difficult to find a stock radio. But an aftermarket will work well. I would look at Crutchfield or call them to get brands and models that will fit. They may also recommend trim and wiring harnesses to convert so splicing is minimized. Though for older models they likely don't have them. I would also look into improved speakers. Simple high sensitivity 3 or 4 way speakers that are direct size replacements if you keep the stock look.
It's hard to say the radio doesn't work. Often the radio is a different power than the clock. There will be two wires so there may be different fuses. Or it might not be hooked up if it's aftermarket already. You will have to test different points in the circuits for proper voltage. Look for loose connectors. Bad splice points or frayed, pinched or damaged wiring. The speakers may be damaged from being. Verify all wiring is hooked up. It's tough to tell what the PO may have done.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Back