Anybody tried LED car headlight bulbs?

lessonstar

Just a random thing that occurred to me.

I was changing one of the bulbs on my bimmer today and I noticed that the chromed-plastic headlight bowl has started to melt slightly so I was wondering if LED bulbs might generate less heat - as well as what sort of light they provide, of course.

Also, it occurs to me that you could legally fit LED bulbs which are much brighter than Halogen ones.
There's a law which (IIRC) states that the maximum power of any headlight bulb is restricted to 50w.
The LED bulbs I was looking at say that they're the equivalent of a 100w bulb but they actually only draw about 10w of power, which makes them legal even though they're twice as bright as they "should" be.

Wonder if it's time somebody updated the law to limit the lumens of headlights rather than limiting them on the basis of wattage?

But, yeah. Anybody tried 'em?
Are they as bright as a regular bulb?
Has anybody noticed if they give off less heat than a regular bulb?

One thing to keep in mind regarding the heat is that it is no always a bad thing. If you live where it gets cold in the winter, that heat keeps the lenses clear so they don't get blocked by snow and ice.

I bought a pair for my CJ Scrambler. They are expensive ($450) but incredibly bright on high beam so I saved time and money not needing to install a light bar. They are supposed last a long time also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For indicators they seem ok. For headlights ive read and seen demo's showing they don't throw light was well as HID.

Do a bit more research.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

I bought a pair for my CJ Scrambler. They are expensive ($450) but incredibly bright on high beam so I saved time and money not needing to install a light bar. They are supposed last a long time also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I bought from Novsight,supposed last a long time also.your $450 is expensive for me to use in car.:cry:

I just put a set on my TJ last month. BIG difference in output compared to incandescent. Not really expensive when you shop around and discover that many of the really high dollar sets are the same as lesser expensive. Mine cost just over $100 as compared to the exact set from a major name brand dealer cost over $500. The biggest problem with LEDs is they are a little more difficult to aim properly since they don't throw the bright spot in the center of the pattern like stock bulbs do. That being said, they are worth the time and effort.

I don't like LED headlights. I can't stand to see them coming at me so why would I want to have a 6" light coming at the oncoming traffic LED. It kills my eyes. Why wouldn't it kill they're eyes.

Sent from my [device_name] using Jeepz.com mobile app

I don't like LED headlights. I can't stand to see them coming at me so why would I want to have a 6" light coming at the oncoming traffic LED. It kills my eyes. Why wouldn't it kill they're eyes.

If they kill your eyes they're improperly adjusted, as are most LED installs in Jeeps. A whiter light is not unsafe for other motorists if properly adjusted.

My understanding is the LED and many HID need projector lenses to be adjusted not to blind oncoming drivers.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

I know that a lot of people just pop em in and go, but when nearly every single person driving by all do the same thing. It just kind of engraves in your brain saying hey don't buy led, just stick with El cheapo.

Sent from my [device_name] using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back