Nuts and bolt sizes for 1998 ZJ rear wiper motor

IMMORTEN

I bought my jeep without the rear wiper motor, previous owner had just removed it entirely.

Jeep is a 1998 ZJ

I just received my wiper motor today, but the two bolts holding it in place are not included, nor is the large and small nuts that goes at the shaft part of the motor.

Can anyone help me find out what size these different nuts and bolts are?

- Two long bolts holding the motor in place
- Large nut that goes around the motor shaft
- Small nut that goes at the end of the motor shaft there the wiper arm attaches to

Take it to the hardware store and see which bolts go in there with the closest clearence. Get both standerd and metric. Before attempting to thread put a litte drop of oil on the end so it should thread easily. If it dont ya got the wrong bolt, lol.

Just to update:

I went to the local hardware store and my local parts store. All the M6 and M8 with the 1.00 thread are pretty standard sizes, even over here.

So those were no problem to find.

The one I am struggling with is the M20x1.00, I can’t seem to find anyone who has them in stock over here.

Also the motor is made of aluminum, so it needs to be an aluminum nut too, otherwise if you mount a steel not on an aluminum thread it will start to oxidize due to the reaction of the two metals touching each other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update 2:

I searched around on amazon and eBay, and the M20x1.00 are pretty easy to find there.

They are available in both nylon and nickel plated brass, both of which should be fine for an aluminum fitting.

All this may seem obvious to some of you, but I’m a bit of a n00b when it comes to these things and still learning my way

Last edited:

I would have never thought of the different metals oxidizing. Good catch.

Rubber spacers and bushing/grommets keep vibration down and galvanic corrosion.

Did you call a jeep dealer? 4wd.com has a diagram for another model but no part numbers or sizes

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
Never to old to learn, this is a good spot to get some education. Cheers :beer:

Exactly :beer:

I would have never thought of the different metals oxidizing. Good catch.

My pleasure :beer:

The rear wiper motor is notorious for seizing on the ZJs and WJs, so it will likely be coming off again in the future ....and when the time comes I don’t want to be battling with a stuck nut

Back