Windshield screws 93 yj

IanJeep

Have 93 yj. Need to remove #40 star screws out of windshield hinge, the two in front. They just spin and don’t come out. Need advice on how to remove and replace. Please don’t tell me I have to remove dash. Thanks.

I don't know the particulars about your jeep but sometimes if you pry upward to put tension on it the screw will then be able to be removed - be careful with the paint.

You mean the interior windshield knob? You might have to get a wrench up behind the dash. But I’m just going off what my cj7 is like, and the parts diagram for a yj. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz.com mobile app

The bolts are fastened to nutserts welded into the frame. If they broke loose you have to cut into the frame to put a wrench on them or weld them back in.
But trying pry pressure mentioned above you will want to soak with penetrating oil and heat. They used blue loctite on mine and heating made it easier to break loose.

If you striped the star bolt either drill out or weld in a cheap hex socket.

Starting on one not stripped. Use a hardened socket driver with sharp edges. Many come rounded and they strip easily. Chip and Clean the paint out of the bolt where the star socket goes. Heat the socket red hot with a touch. Then impact remove.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
New member. I have the same issue. One screw came out. One I drill out and extracted. One, didn't want to break the extractor so I drilled off the head with a 5/16 bit. Work on the other later. This is just the 4 on the top of the driver side. On the bottom, three of them had broken the nut insert from the tub. The last one, stripped the head. If I can get a wrench on the inserts to remove, I'll be not be able to reinstall without removing the dash panel. Unless someone has any other ideas. Then on to the passenger side.

Well the trick i used is be sure to use a sharp bit. Clean the corners of the bolt for full bit insertion. Put the bit in and heat the bolt thru the bit, so not to burn the paint. And use a impact driver. Soak with PB blaster.

This
IMG_1205.JPG
NOT This
IMG_1206.JPG

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
I've done that with what I have. Not worried about the paint, heated the head to red hot, used a Craftsman bit and an air hammer. Broke the bit. Can't find my impact driver. Drill out one and the extractor worked. On another, afraid to break the extractor. Might just drill it out farther and retap it. Going into town today for replacement torx bits and drill bits. Small cow town, not high quality stuff available.

I found mine in HF

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

I found mine in HF

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

Finally got the windshield off. Had to drill out/extract some of the bolts. Had to remove the dash panel to get to the insert nuts that broke loose from the tub. Now looking for replacement hinges. Want the OEM hinges with countersunk bolt holes. Apparently, the hinges that use button head bolts prevent the easy removal/install of the half doors. Some are thicker than others. I've shopped on Amazon and read the reviews. The pictures look like they are not countersunk, yet some reviews for the same listing say they are. Thankfully I'm on a first name basis with the local auto parts store. Gary is a Jeep guy. Will go there this week, however, if anyone knows brand and part number for OEM replacements, that would be much appreciated.

It always starts that way.
The worst is when its something you likely could live with but bugs you enough to fix. And it turns out to be a overhaul.
Going through that now changing a clutch.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Back