Help - 1992 CJ 4 cylinder transmission issue

Purple Frog

Grandson has a 1992 YJ 4 cylinder 5 speed w/transfer case.

It will not shift into 2nd, 5th, nor reverse.

Any ideas where to start with a cure. I'm an very experienced mechanic, but no experience with Jeep transmissions.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Is there a body or suspension lift on the vehicle?
Any spacers between skid plate and frame?
Lift the boot and make sure the shifter is not hitting the tub.

Can't say it is a common problem. I do know on TJ if fluid is not changed it becomes acidic and ruins the syncros.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

OK, I guess it is a YJ.

Appears to have a body lift kit. I removed the boot and the aftermarket center console. I now can get 1, 2, 3, 4, but no 5th or reverse. The shifter is not hitting any part of the tunnel opening.

It sort of feels like it is "clicking" into the proper position, but there is no movement when one disengages the clutch with engine running.

So the shifter slides into the 5th position but when you release the clutch no movement or engine bogging down?
Same for reverse?

Regards,
JPNinPA

Could you verify what transmission you have? In the event it was swapped out.

Here is what is possible from stock
5-speed Aisin AX-5 manual -weak has issues with 5th and reverse. Shift fork or a pin that holds the gears. Could be clutch slipping?
5-speed Aisin AX-15 manual
5-speed Peugeot BA-10/5 manual

Regards,
JPNinPA

Last edited:
Sorry for slow response. Still working 10 hours per day.
Correct. If I put it in 5th gear and let out the clutch nothing happens. Same with reverse.
It is a AX5.

Now... all you knowledgeable people. Is there somebody who sells rebuilt AX5 transmissions?
Or is there a replacement that bolts up to that engine?

They are hard to come by. There are replacement parts and some have repaired without full removal. Quadratec and Morris... And plenty of u tube videos.

However you still will have a weak trans. If running bigger 35 in tires expect this issue again. The AX 15 is stronger and was one of the stock choices. Also look at Novack for help. Novak Conversions Transmission Knowledge Gateway

Regards,
JPNinPA

Back