Front wheels lock up when tightening down lug nuts

TJS27

Hi all
So I replaced my 97 TJ Sport with new u joints in front axles , and new wheel hubs as well. Put it all back together ( and also replaced entire brake line system. )
When I tighten the front wheels, they freeze in place. Not problem with movement when wheel is off.
Replacement wheel hub looks exactly like original but somehow maybe the dust shield is wrong ??
Wheel seems to go further back and is being tightened against the dust shield. I thought this was a bad front caliper issue so put on new ones only to find out after tightening one wheel it won’t budge.
What’s my problem here???? I put everything back in order as it was taken off(I’m pretty certain).
Any help much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Edit. Both wheels freeze when tightened down even a little bit.
Maybe some 9-16” washers behind the rotor would bring it out a bit ?
Rotor is obviously going too far back on the hub. Not rubbing calipers or any other part.

IMG_1155.JPG

I can take more pics if you see something you need to see.
The rotor seems to have the perfect “fit” but I can also push it back and it then hits the dust shield. So tightening down the lugs pushes the rotor so far back it locks on the shield.

And by perfect fit I mean it rests on a normal position and just a few more pounds of pressure it will kind of “jump” past that position and hit the shield plate. I’m stumped as this happened on the original calipers as well. ??????

I’ve seen comments on the caliper bolts being too long. But the original calipers should not have had this issue (?)
It does have a fair amount of play with the new longer bolts ( new one has a steel bolt sleeve) but it’s not the job of the caliper to hold the rotor in a fixed position. I’m stumped.

Do you have the old hubs to compare the new ones to?
You're right that a smaller hub could cause this.

So I found another forum that someone has exact same issue. Seems the rotor hat depth is not compatible with these original rotors. My guess right now is that this rotor is 82mm depth. I may need a 72mm depth rotor so it doesn’t sit back so far. I have to assume the wheel hubs I installed are for a later model tj. Thoughts ?

Back