Grand Cherokee Laredo 2001 2 issues

dlmrun2002

First issue is I lost my speedo. It was cutting out for a little while and now it rarely moves. Is that the speed sensor for tranny?
Second issue is I lost my 4wd indicator lights on my dash. My part time light was staying on and recently I went into 4wd and it went off, now I have no 4wd indicator at all. Is that also a sensor somewhere? Thanks for help in advance.
dlm ny country

Did you do some work on the transfer case or run something over?

Speedo gear is on the transfer case and the sensor is on the back of the gear.

Its the electrical connector for the 4c4 select indicator is on the transfer case..

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Did you do some work on the transfer case or run something over?

Speedo gear is on the transfer case and the sensor is on the back of the gear.

Its the electrical connector on the transfer case..

I did not do any work on the transfer case, oil change and a foglight bulb replace and I actually fixed my from windshield washer pump. Jeep has been sitting and I'm trying to get it ready for sale. Cleaning it up and getting rid of all the bugs. You said speedo is on the back of the gear.... What gear is that? Thanks JP ..as always,
dlm ny country

Speedo is the gear in the transfer case that helps convert mechanical rpm motion it electrical signal. On the back of the gear is the electrical sensor that converts the signal that eventually hits the speedometer.

These gears are the starting point to the dashboard read out.
Newer models you change the PCM program.

You could be sure the connectors behind the dash are tight. Some jeeps years have this as a common issue. Plug coming loose.

Last edited:

Hmm Well I checked my transfer case switch and it is closer to a 25mm then the 22 mentioned in video. Soaking in PB now since it's hard to get a good grab right now. Regarding speedo, it worked as I went down the end of my road but I haven't taken it out yet. Usually it will crap out if I'm on the road for a few minutes or so.

Exercised two electrical connections on tranny-front and rear (input and output sensors???). Cleaned up ground strap on valve cover to firewall. Just did 11 miles and no speedo cutting out. Still no 4wd indicator. I heard if you jump the connectors on the 4wd the light should come on, is that true? Hopefully the speedo will keep working this way I can get some miles on it so I can clear my monitors for State inspection, so I can renew registration !!
dlm ny country

Your speedo could be clocked wrong. Worn from overengaged mashing teeth or under engaged chipping teeth.

Being you messed with it snd it worked id look at the wiring.
Bad grounds could cause s heap of trouble.

Back