Bleed your brakes

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
The brake system in your CJ works by using brake fluid to press together two front disc brakes, that squeeze a disc (the rotor) to slow you down. Over time air can get into your brake lines, and since it's relatively easy to compress air, when you go to step on the brakes, the air in the line will compress instead of the disc brakes squeezing and you won't stop.

Removing the air in your brake system isn't too hard. Have a look at the directions below.

Last edited:

Step 1 - The materials

I managed to find this brake bleeding kit in a local parts store. It is a pretty simple setup that you should be able to make yourself. It has a hose that goes into a jar of brake fluid.

Attachments

• brakebleed.jpg
    brakebleed.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 696
Step 2 - prep the master cylinder

First, take off the master cylinder lid, and top it off with fluid

Attachments

• brakebleed1.jpg
    brakebleed1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 596
Step 3 - find the bleeder valve

locate the bleeder valve, and loosen it with a wrench.

Attachments

• brakebleed2.jpg
    brakebleed2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 638

Step 4 - hook up the one man bleeder

Attach a hose to the valve and fully open the valve.

Attachments

• brakebleed3.jpg
    brakebleed3.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 606
Step 5 - get the air out

I put a coffee can under everything to catch any spilt brake fluid. You pump the brakes until there are no more bubbles visible in the clear tube, then run over and tighten the bleeder valve up again

Attachments

• brakebleed4.jpg
    brakebleed4.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 615
Last edited:
While we are talking about brakes..... Perhaps someone can help me out. I have a 94 wrangler Yj, manual 5 speed with a 2.5 l engine. I had to add brake fluid to my reservoir and I bleed the brakes since that happened, I had my Brakes warning light on...... The brakes work wonderfully now but I am not sure how to reset the warning light. It is annoying to keep looking on it and I usually like to find things out on my own. Unfortunately, I will be leaving on January 1st for another short deployment and want to get things done before I leave. I do not have too much time right now and a full list of things that "I have to do". Any help will save me time and help me get this thing fixed so I can concentrate on getting ready to leave again. Thanks so much guys... Or girls.

Now this is the helpful product.. I like the idea of catching the brake fluid. Thanks for sharing this cup of help.. I think its so much important for those people who are facing trouble in their braking system due to bubbles in tube and brake fluid leaking. Good Sharing and thanks for explaining about its using method.

While we are talking about brakes..... Perhaps someone can help me out. I have a 94 wrangler Yj, manual 5 speed with a 2.5 l engine. I had to add brake fluid to my reservoir and I bleed the brakes since that happened, I had my Brakes warning light on...... The brakes work wonderfully now but I am not sure how to reset the warning light. It is annoying to keep looking on it and I usually like to find things out on my own. Unfortunately, I will be leaving on January 1st for another short deployment and want to get things done before I leave. I do not have too much time right now and a full list of things that "I have to do". Any help will save me time and help me get this thing fixed so I can concentrate on getting ready to leave again. Thanks so much guys... Or girls.

There is a reset on the brake valve (under the master or elsewhere on the lines) Generally you bleed the front or back then the light comes on so you open the other side and press the pedal until the light just barely goes out. Otherwise it goes overcenter and turns the light on again.

Back