Oh no my interior lights won't shut off, someone Please help!!

navcherokee

Hi guys and gals. My brother bought a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee this last Saturday, He's had no problems until today! :( It is a
used vehicle, nonetheless the problem still stands! The interior lights came on earlier today and would not shut off, little did we know, they came on when we got out of the vehicle at home. If anyone knows the cure for this problem an ya help me please? :cry:

Hey there!

As a quick temporary fix - unplug the fuse.

There should be a bank of fuses behind the glove box or under the dash. It'll give the location in the owner's manual if you can't find it. Near the fuses you'll see a diagram showing what each fuse is for. Unplug the one for the interior lights, and that'll give you time to solve the actual problem.

Use a pair of tweezers if you can't get your fingers around the fuse to pull it out. Be sure to pull the fuse straight out.

Lots of Wrangler owners' simply unplug the fuse for the interior lights when they take their doors off.. It's a simple, easy free solution (that's what we do - we leave our doors off for weeks at a time).

The problem is probably very minor - and Jeeps are very easy to work on... Don't worry and tell your brother congrats on joining the Jeep family (expect a few waves).

:)

This video is just to show where the fuse box location is:

Here is what each fuse is for in a WJ
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/cimg/www.cherokeeforum.com/1015x501_85/612/Fuse-Labels-90612.jpg
90612.jpg

Looks like it's fuse #16.

...it's really just a temporary fix (that lots of folks do) - but it'll save your sanity while you're looking into the actual cause!

Someone else should be along with some knowledge on what the issue might be. It's always a good idea to cross-check the advice you receive (you should be able to find multiple instances of folks with the same problem and solution).

Oh - and if you're going to dig into anything electrical ALWAYS disconnect the negitive battery cable (unpluging the fuse is ok).

Last edited:
As mentioned the temp fix is to pull the fuse.

Do they go off when engine is on or radio or any other itel like opening a window?

Check the wiring and strike area for the door switches. Include the rear hatch.
Also check the multi function switch on the blinker lever.
On TJs these go bad and are easily replaced.
Not sure but do the lights themselves have on off switches on them?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
Back