Paint and more

NormanW

I am probably going to have our '93 XJ painted soon. The southern Arizona has taken its toll on the red paint. My Question is; has anyone here used a spray-on bed liner type product for the lower parts. I am thinking about having the areas below the body crease done with
rino-liner.(sp) I do very little off road, but travel a lot of dirt roads. I think this would protect against stones but am worried it might not look good or may have other problems that I have not foreseen.

I have seen this on a couple trucks up here in the rust belt, obviously, It won't be smooth and it will sit about 1/4 above the paint surface unless you blend with bondo.

I wouldn't if it were me. I just had my 90 Cherokee(originally from Mesa AZ) that the clear coat was wasted, repainted and I am glad I went back with normal base/clear coat. Those things look great when they are redone. You can however, have a rhino style liner painted onto the outer body WITHOUT the texture added and it will be alot smoother, but I don't know of anyone who had it done long enough ago to see how it holds up as far as staying on the surface and looking good. I have seen plenty of spray-ins turn that nasty chalky dull color over time, Yuk! Think about it and do alot of research before you jump in!!

Keep us posted!!

Is the lower part that you want to spray metal or plastic? If its metal, it will stick just as good as it would in a truck bed. As far as turning "that nasty chalky dull color"-it can be prevented. If you have Arma Coatings do it, they can put some kind of coating on it about 6 months after it is initially sprayed, and will prevent it from changing colors. If you spray it with out the final coating of texture, i'm not sure it would look all that good.

NormanW said:
I am probably going to have our '93 XJ painted soon. The southern Arizona has taken its toll on the red paint. My Question is; has anyone here used a spray-on bed liner type product for the lower parts. I am thinking about having the areas below the body crease done with
rino-liner.(sp) I do very little off road, but travel a lot of dirt roads. I think this would protect against stones but am worried it might not look good or may have other problems that I have not foreseen.
My friend I have my cherokee Rino-lined and besides being a pain in the ass to wash it's been GREAT! Rino-Line can match your factory colors by adding pigment to the product. If you use a cheap brand you will get chalky film look but I've had mine done now for about 4-5 years and no problems what so ever. I sprayed mine in my basement car port my buddy works at a body shop so he gave me some tricks of the trade to work with. We spayed 1 1/2 gallons which was about 4 coats then applyed a sealant and abadda bing abadda boom used a heat gun to set the product and done. and the great thing about this stuff is when I clean it I use AIM super gloss tire shine and baam I got my wax job without the wax on wax off work just spray and wipe down.

[quote="tmsloan My friend I have my cherokee Rino-lined and besides being a pain in the ass to wash it's been GREAT! [/quote]
Did you Rino-line the whole thing? If so, how much did that cost?

If you are always using "super gloss tire shine," it will obviously never trurn that chalky color. I personally prefer Arma Coatings because when they aply it they use a very high pressure and high amount of heat. This will stick longer and be much tougher than the products where there is very little pressure and the heat is applied afterwards. Plus its not that hard to wash at all.
Just my opinion!!

Back