Bad window tint

NormanW

When we bought our XJ it came with some very bad window tint that will be removed and replaced soon. To save a little money I was going to remove the old tint myself. Are there any products you can recommend that will make this easier, or should I just let the pros do it? I almost forgot. I have to deal with the rear window defogger and don't want to damage it when the tint comes off.

If you can get the tint to start pealing you may be able to pull most of it off. You can also use a razor blade to get it off with but BE CAREFULL! Use glass cleaner with the blade and dont be afraid to soak the glass. Use fine steel wool and window cleaner to get any remaining glue off. As far as toe back glass with the defogger goes that is your call. If you use a blade go slow. I have done it many times but it is still a pain in the @%%! P.S. When using a razor blade use a holder. get this from the hardware store. And keep the blade flat on the glass. Dont use the corner of the blade . It will scratch the glass.

NormanW said:
When we bought our XJ it came with some very bad window tint that will be removed and replaced soon. To save a little money I was going to remove the old tint myself. Are there any products you can recommend that will make this easier, or should I just let the pros do it? I almost forgot. I have to deal with the rear window defogger and don't want to damage it when the tint comes off.

that all depends, are you going to have the pros put the new stuff in for you? cause if you are, then most places will take the old tint out free of charge. but call around and make sure. if they wont do it for free, i say find some way to do it yourself, but be careful, hopefully someone else in here can help you out if the installer wont take care of you.

The best, and right way, according to window tinters, is use a hair dryer on the tint to loosen it up and peel off. After that, you have to get a bottle of straight ammonia, and slop it on the glass, which is covered in the glue from the film. Let it soak for a bit, and the next thing is take a razor blade, and carefully scrape off the glue, which should come off easily. It takes a while. Make sure the glass is clean, by going over it again with the ammonia. Straight ammonia is the key. Don't be afraid of getting too sloppy, the more the better. I just soaked paper towels with the ammonia, and slopped it on, let it set. Actually, I used a heat gun very carefully, and that crap peeled right off. But, I guess the hair dryer works on high heat.
Have fun!

for the glue try 3M adhesive remover-Great stuff!!--We used it to remove graffitti from a car trailer and no harm was done to the finish or surrounding areas.

The best, and right way, according to window tinters, is use a hair dryer on the tint to loosen it up and peel off. After that, you have to get a bottle of straight ammonia, and slop it on the glass, which is covered in the glue from the film. Let it soak for a bit, and the next thing is take a razor blade, and carefully scrape off the glue, which should come off easily. It takes a while. Make sure the glass is clean, by going over it again with the ammonia. Straight ammonia is the key. Don't be afraid of getting too sloppy, the more the better. I just soaked paper towels with the ammonia, and slopped it on, let it set. Actually, I used a heat gun very carefully, and that crap peeled right off. But, I guess the hair dryer works on high heat.
Have fun!

As an old school refrigeration guy, I'll tell you straight, ammonia is some nasty stuff, even a gas mask won't help.

I herd somebody actually makes a remover fluid for this. Said they found it at Wal Mart.

Let us know how things turn out. I have to do my rer window, I've been affraid of screwing up the rear window defroster and have been putting it off.

A local autoparts store will have a non toxic window film remover thats in a spray bottle. That's what i used on my daughters car and did the final cleanup with windex.

Back