My girl friends Jeep.

tmsloan

Guys need some input here. My girl friend drives our 98' Cherokee and she wants to spice it up. Here's the problem since she has never taken it off road and it's her daily driver she wants to put some 20' inch rims on it. Ok I don't mind the 20' rims not that big of a deal it's hers and it would look nice it it were some cool looking 20's since the jeep is the amnethis color. I just want to know if any of you guys know anyone who has gone with a 20 inch rim and what kinda problems am I getting into here?

The biggest problem you will have with 20's on it is all the harsh smack that will be talked around here. Jeez talk to the girl and explain to here it's a Jeep not a H1 or some other sissy SUV. Help the girl out here. tug

do you mean 20 INCH or 20 feet tall rims!!!
hey... IROKs are made in 20" rims... but they are also 49" tall :mrgreen:

There's a guy that lives near me with 20's on his Cherokee that is around the same year as the one you got. I have to say it looks good!! His is red colored. As far as problems, there really aren't any mechanical ones. Most here don't seem to like big wheels that much though, but if it won't be going off road that much, I think it's perfectly alright.

:idea: There's a reason that wheels are a certain size compared to the tire surrounding them. 20 inch wheels won't leave much room for tires so you'll get a much harsher ride :( , and it would seriously affect it's 4wd (snow, mud, etc) capabilities :( . The fact that I think it would look hideous is just an opinion but the ride thing is a fact :wink: .
:shock: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T LET HER DO IT MAN!!! :shock:

The ride really isn't that harsh, unless you get tires that have sidewalls down around 30 or 35 mm tall, which I have on a truck and it really isn't that bad. If it won't be going off road at all, I don't really see what the problem is with putting 20's on it. I just met another guy today with 23's on his Cherokee. He was saying that since he won't ever be off road, what's the big deal? In my opinion, it looks better than stock, and why put big Boggers on one if it will be on the road its whole life.
my $.02

I know, I know, I told her I would buy any set of wheels she wanted a while ago and told her to think it over and my older brother came over a few weeks back and he has 20's on his Yukon and she saw them and now she is all about big chrome wheels and I HATE CHROME! No pun guys. I told her that a Cherokee is suppose to be rugged not thugged and we were going to be spending a ass load of money on tires and she cut me off at the pass with "You spend alot on those mudd bogger thingies"..That was a bad angle so I'm trying a new approach with getting her to lift it then have the guys @ Southern Off Road tell her how good it would look with some Micky Thompsons or something like that. Keep your fingers crossed

dude, dont let her go above a 17" wheel. Tell her to lift it 3" and put some decent 31" tires on it. I dont think she realizes that it wont look the same as the bigger and shittier yukon. I think she'd like the 31" w/17's. I've seen it and it looks pretty sweeet.

ah_too_bad said:
I think she'd like the 31" w/17's. I've seen it and it looks pretty sweeet.
i'd like to see that, did you see that online? post pics if you did. i'm trying to picture 17's with 31" tires. not that i have any desire to get 17's, still, i'm curious.

Back