the hunt begins....

LGR

So..mingez posts of nice looking XJs has poisoned my mind and now it seems every corner is an XJ just taunting me. I think its about time i saved some loot and buy a cheap one. So that's my plan but my questions are...anything to look for? I'd like to go 6 cylinder auto with 4 doors. I don't feel like paying more than 1500-2000 on it. I'll end up driving it most of the time and have my TJ for those TJ days in the summer. so anything i should shoot for in an old XJ? any type of tcase or anything like that..i don't know anything about cherokees..axles? gearing? help out!

There is one in Neptune, NJ for 1750 at this used car dealership... auto and a 4.0! I forgot what year...

I know some of the late 80s had the D44 with 3.55 ratio in them, could keep a heads up for that.

i need a month or two to pull togather the money..tax return is comming soon..that'll help out big time.

LGR said:
So..mingez posts of nice looking XJs has poisoned my mind and now it seems every corner is an XJ just taunting me. I think its about time i saved some loot and buy a cheap one. So that's my plan but my questions are...anything to look for? I'd like to go 6 cylinder auto with 4 doors. I don't feel like paying more than 1500-2000 on it. I'll end up driving it most of the time and have my TJ for those TJ days in the summer. so anything i should shoot for in an old XJ? any type of tcase or anything like that..i don't know anything about cherokees..axles? gearing? help out!
I got a maroon 89 for sale it's got a bust rearend but its got the 4.0 H.O. auto body in good shape needs a splash of paint. I'll let it go for $1750 e-mail me and i'll send you some pictures. And no the one in the picture is not it Thats Mine all mine mine mine....

Hee hee hee. Luke, I am your father!! Darkside a cometh!! :lol: 8)

I'm happy that I could add to your bank account depletion and jeep addiction. I think you made a great choice in getting an XJ. I'll be getting a short wheelbase someday too!

You should be able to find a late 80's XJ, or if you're lucky something newer for that money. Check out autotrader.com too! I remember when I was looking for one, I saw a ton. You may have to travel though, but for a good deal it's worth it!

87 and 88, I believe they offered the dana 44 rear end on a few models. But I found that finding one of those is like stumbling on gold. I did find one in Mexico, but it was sooooo rusted and ruined. The 44 wasn't even worth it.
Three axels are available: the dana 35 and 44, and the Chryler 8.25. Beware the 8.25, good axel, but they don't make ALL of the gear ratios for them. Namely, 4.88 gears. (i found out the hard way)

Gears: pretty much the same rules apply to XJ's as YJ's and TJ's. 32 and 33" wheels, you might go with 4.56 gears. If you don't go that big, stock 3.55 works great, but you'll still want to go to atleast4.10.

lift: 4.5 for 32 or 33" tires. 3" lift for 31's.

I don't have to tell you to avoid the 2.5l, stick with the 4.0.

Check out these sites for Lifts, engine performance etc.
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/

Welcome to the Cherokee part of the tech forums!! :D

as for lifting and tires..plan on going as high as i can without messing with the transfer case and lowering kits. I'd like to see 31" tires on it with some decent clearence. I just gotta find one thats not too high milage..i seen alot but all are like 170,000+ miles.

Coil or Body

Hey LGR!! Allow me to make your new XJ fetish worse. Check this bad boy out. He's from Venezuela:

http://jugoxj.tripod.com/

Click on the links on the right. That's a nice rig!
I had to post the link cause Tripod won't allow you to remote.

man..i want a white one too! I think all day tomarrow at work its quadratec catalogs and car shoppers things.

Axle shaft nut retainer

LGR said:
as for lifting and tires..plan on going as high as i can without messing with the transfer case and lowering kits. I'd like to see 31" tires on it with some decent clearence. I just gotta find one thats not too high milage..i seen alot but all are like 170,000+ miles.

My neigbor has 240,000 miles on an XJ (not sure what year). It's a 2.5L and a 5 sp that has never been offroad except maybe some very light wheelin' @ the beach. She just bought a Liberty and she won't get rid of the Cherokee (I know 'cause I tried to buy it!).

Point is, miles aren't as important as how it has been treated. I'd take a 170K mi one over an 80K one that some lead footed school kid drove for the last 15K miles without an oil change. I know parts wear but sometimes you can find a high mileage vehicle in really good condition.

yeah..but i'll never know how they treated it..i'd rather buy it from a friend that i knew took care of it. but for an old beater..i'ma just have to get lucky

Back