Operating temperatures for 4.0L XJ under extreme conditions

Mike1

Hi

Is it normal for a Cherokee 4.0L with auto box to feel extremely hot in off road situations where slow driving is required?

The ambient temperature is normally around 30 degrees Centigrade.

In this situation both the viscous fan and electrical fan are running permanently. The vehicle does not overheat however but stays at just over 100 on the temperature gauge.

You can feel excessive heat from the auto box and engine area. Is the vehicle made to cope under these situations or are extra conversions needed to lower the temperatures?

Thanks Mike(SA) :oops:

100 degrees actually sounds kinda low, you may have a bad sending unit ot thermostat or something (not sure). For 4 wheeling and towing, your transmission will be working alot harder, which will cause some additional heat which is normal. Some Cherokees have a built in transmission cooler which I think it only came with the factory tow package.

yeah, your engine should run around 180-200 at operating temp, and yes it is normal to feel hot because of this. get the sending unit and/or gauge fixed, and so long as it is in the normal range you are fine. a tip if you are running hot and worried about overheat, turn the heat on max, adds extra cooling capacity.

Thanks

The 100 Degrees is Centigrade, I am sure you guys use Fahrenheit. I dont know what the conversion is to Fahrenheit from Centigrade?
But its just on the middle of the gauge.

So it seems normal?

MY CONCERN HOWEVER STEMS FROM THE STRESS ON THE AUTO BOX UNDER THESE CONDITIONS WILL IT HOLD UP OK?

thanks
Mike(SA)

Hi,

212 degrees F (100 degress C) is just about Normal operating temperature for the 4.0L engines. This is perfectly fine.

-Nick :!:

That temp is fine, and XJ's are known for running warm. A buddy of mine just installed a set of Grand Prix hood louvers to his XJ, and a small fan under one to help evacuate some of the heat.

Thanks for the info. guys much appreciated

Mike(SA)

Yeah, what can we say, we US folks just wont let go and fully convert to the metric system. It's simpler, makes more sense, and we all learn it at a young age in school, but can't let go. Kinda like an old sweatshirt that's worn to the point of being an eyesore, but too comfortable to throw away. Besides making sense is overrated 8) .

Back