97 ZJ fuel sending unit??

ROGLSTUBB

turbo charged 2.5

My wife's ZJ has the overhead information center with compass, fuel economy, etc. The problem I have is that it will all of a sudden the gas guage will go to empty and the Distance till empty guage will go to zero and then will go back to normal almost instantly. I have played with every wire I could all the way back to the gas tank and have not been able to mimmick it and since it only happens for a second I am having a hard time finding it. I told my wife just keep an eye on how much gas she has and when it quits working altogether I would be able to trace the problem. Now I starting to notice that this happens around 3/4ths of a tank so I now thinking maybe the fuel level sending unit has a bad spot. I am just curious if anybody else has any thoughts.

altitude problems

Just thought I would update this earlier post of mine. It did turn out to be the fuel level sending like a suspected. I did find out that the 97 was the first year the sending unit was made to be a seperate serviceable unit. I also found out that on some models there was a recall on it. Unfornataly mine was not covered. It took all of about two hours to drop the fuel tank and replace and with the part only costing $25 from the dealer was worth doing myself.

Back