Its overheating at idle sitting in the driveway
This weekend I replaced the
fan clutch
thermostat
radiator
both hoses upper and lower
the fill/expansion tank was new when I bought it

STILL overheats --any suggestions????

Air in the system? There's some tips for removing the air like leaving the temp sensor out to bleed off air as you fill the system, and to squeeze the upper hose to force air into the overflow tank.

Other than that, go to www.naxja.org/forum and ask Eagle, the resident XJ cooling expert.

Yeah I was concerned about the air in the sys too, but what I'm really worried about is a transmission problem

I cant get logged into NAJXA for some reason, any tips

Wheel Bearing Question

Hi,

Please don't double post the exact same thing in two threads. I've deleted your posts in the "1988 cherokee overheating" thread which were repetitive so people can help you in this single thread which, among other things, is less confusing than trying to discuss one topic in two threads. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Hi,

So were you able to fix your overheating problem? As was said before, it is most likely an air pocket in the system -- very common problem on the older model year Cherokees. Be sure you run the heater while filing the system to remove the air from the heater core, and also I've heard that parking on a hill or incline while filling the system can help remove air pockets. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Well here's the deal after spending two days (one on the road) and ~400 dolla! fixin' my ride, she's all fixed, the $6 expansion tank cap was not holding pressure and I replaced it, burped the system and drove it to houston that night (about 300 mi roundtrip). I cant thank y'all enough for your help again w/this b/c frankly I was at my wits end. I've worked on lots and lots of vehicles (although this is my first jeep) and guess I am in that learning curve again. So its back to good times for me. Thanks again Y'all!

I'm having the same issues with my '89 XJ. One thing that led me to the root of my problem (electric fan not kicking in) was that it would behave on the freeway, or on local streets AS LONG AS I WAS MOVING. Once I got into stop-n-go traffic, the temp gague shot over 220 and the boiling would commence.

So, I'm looking at replacing the sensor next weekend. If it gets nasty, I may cobble a switch setup for the interim.

And, I know *all about* the wonders of crappy coolant recovery systems... my other car is a early '84 porsche 944 :)

btw, my XJ is the 4-liter and is going on 277k. I love it.

I have replaced my water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, radiator and am still overheating I am unsure about the burping thing. What else could be making my Jeep run hot? It spews steam out of the right front side after a trip across town.

:x:x
I have replaced my water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, radiator and am still overheating I am unsure about the burping thing. What else could be making my Jeep run hot? It spews steam out of the right front side after a trip across town.

Anyone have some good pics of the coolant bottle area my xj is missing the coolant bottle and everything in that area related to cooling, they put a u-shaped hose from eninige back to engine and omitted the heatercore hoses and the whatever else goes there.

Anyone have some good pics of the coolant bottle area my xj is missing the coolant bottle and everything in that area related to cooling, they put a u-shaped hose from eninige back to engine and omitted the heatercore hoses and the whatever else goes there.
800d1a05-1.gif

Last edited:

Did you test the radiator cap?, If the radiator cap is unable to hold the pressure specified on the cap, then a premature pressure release will occur and the boiling point will decrease inturn , will overheat. I'm not saying this IS the problem but most of the time overlooked to be the culprit. If this passes the test, have the cooling system pressure tested for internal or external leak. Also, did you verify the electric fan for proper operation?.

I have replaced the radiator cap. I do not know what the electric fan is. I s that something different that the fan clutch?

I have replaced the radiator cap. I do not know what the electric fan is. I s that something different that the fan clutch?

Yes. There's 2 cooling fans in a Cherokee. One is a viscuos fan and the other is an electric fan. The electric fan is on the driverside of the radiator. It helps the viscuos fan when needed to attain the normal operating temperature range of the cooling system. This also should come on full time when the A/C is in the on position.

i founght overheating issues with my 89 xj for a long time.. i finally wired the electric fan into a switch a turned it on whenver i had the motor running.. and replaced the radiator with a 3 core comanche rad. that had a real cap. and got rid of the funking coolent bottle i havent had any trouble since then..

I helped a buddy of mine work out his overheating issue(s) recently in his TJ. We went with a Mishimoto radiator, and I had to show him how to "properly" bleed the system LOL

Back