noise/clicking/ticking maybe from brake booster?

dmetcalf99

I have a '91 cherokee, 4.0 w/ full & part time 4wd, with the ignition turned over (but not yet started) I can hear a clicking/ticking noise which seems to be coming from the brake booster or the vacuum resovoir, I'm pretty sure its the brake booster but I'm just wondering if anybody has heard this noise before, the brakes really hard to push down and don't seem to be working 100%, so I plan on replacing the brake booster but wondering on how difficult that is

thanks

Dan

if anybody has any thoughts or comments please post I hate to replace the brake booster to hear the vacuum resovoir still ticking

the brakes are messed up bacause some idiot broke off the bleeder and you cant bleed that tire. the ticking is probably somethin else.

Hi,

You didn't say whether you have ABS or not? If you don't have ABS, I can't imagine it comming from the master cylinder or the vacuum brake booster, as I doubt either have any means for clicking unless the engine is running (and the booster is under vacuum maybe).

If you DO have ABS, then it could very well be the ABS pump/booster having problems. I believe the pump and master cylinder are integrated on the Cherokees, so you'd have to replace them together. You may or may not have a vacuum brake booster if you have ABS.

Remember that after any brake work involving opening the brake lines, you need to bleed the brakes at all four tires to ensure all air is out of the system. Also, just so you know, the vacuum reservoir is not by the brake booster, it is located in the front passenger side of the bumper (near the battery).

If you are having ANY problems with the braking system, DO NOT drive the Jeep until you get the problem(s) fixed! If your master cylinder/ABS pump becomes defective you could loose all braking ability!

-Nick :!:

XJNick said:
Hi,

You didn't say whether you have ABS or not? If you don't have ABS, I can't imagine it comming from the master cylinder or the vacuum brake booster, as I doubt either have any means for clicking unless the engine is running (and the booster is under vacuum maybe).

If you DO have ABS, then it could very well be the ABS pump/booster having problems. I believe the pump and master cylinder are integrated on the Cherokees, so you'd have to replace them together. You may or may not have a vacuum brake booster if you have ABS.

Remember that after any brake work involving opening the brake lines, you need to bleed the brakes at all four tires to ensure all air is out of the system. Also, just so you know, the vacuum reservoir is not by the brake booster, it is located in the front passenger side of the bumper (near the battery).

If you are having ANY problems with the braking system, DO NOT drive the Jeep until you get the problem(s) fixed! If your master cylinder/ABS pump becomes defective you could loose all braking ability!

It does have ABS, but it appears that the booster is seperate from the master cylinder, the booster is behind the battery against the firewall

jeeperjoe said:
the brakes are messed up bacause some idiot broke off the bleeder and you cant bleed that tire. the ticking is probably somethin else.

this could be the case but I'm pretty sure it is the booster ticking, but are you calling me an idiot?

dmetcalf99 said:
the booster is behind the battery against the firewall

Ok I'm really confused now.

I've never seen a pre '95 Cherokee with the battery near the firewall. I've only seen the battery in its usual place at the front passenger side corner of the engine compartment, just behind the radiator and passenger side headlamp. Likewise, the vacuum brake boosters are mounted to the master cylinder at the driver's side of the firewall.

Unless you are talking about an electric ABS booster pump, but I cannot imagine that being far from the master cylinder.

Have any pictures, maybe?
It is hard for me to help when I'm confused :p

Factory tow points

XJNick said:
dmetcalf99 said:
the booster is behind the battery against the firewall

Ok I'm really confused now.

I've never seen a pre '95 Cherokee with the battery near the firewall. I've only seen the battery in its usual place at the front passenger side corner of the engine compartment, just behind the radiator and passenger side headlamp. Likewise, the vacuum brake boosters are mounted to the master cylinder at the driver's side of the firewall.

Unless you are talking about an electric ABS booster pump, but I cannot imagine that being far from the master cylinder.

Have any pictures, maybe?
It is hard for me to help when I'm confused :p

Nike - My bad -- the battery is in the front towards the bumper, the "electric" abs motor is against the back near the firewall on the same side of the battery (opposite the master cylinder though)

I will take a picture and copy the diagram from the manual I referenced, I'm at work at the moment, but when I get home I'll send it over...

I did bring the jeep to a "repair" shop as I wasn't confident in my ability to accurately diagnose the issue so I'll have results and will post them

Back