check engine light came on.

AKASHAJEEP

Hackers been busy

I have a 96' XJ and think I might ahve goten a half tank of bad gas on my way out of denver. she started jumping like it was vapro locking or running out of gas. i ran it down bout half way and filled up with some 91 and put in some octane boost. (my motor has been modded and likes that kind of thing every once in a while). after that I havent thought again about it.
untill the next day when i noticed the check engine light came on. (no it wasnt on when I was driving). I havent noticed any difference in the way the motor is running at all. no missing, rough idle, or hesitation. nothing like that. just dont know wtf that light came on for?
is this a common occurance? what should i look for?

I'd check the codes, you probably fouled a sensor in the engine.

is there any way to check them without using the scan thingy? I dont exactly have the money just yet to go out and pick one up.

do you have the digital odometer. if you do you may be able to use the OnBoard Diagnostic. im not sure how to retrieve the code for that year, i know mine is different.

Hi,

Go to Autozone, they scan most OBD-II vehicle computers for free. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

well checker here had one that i was able to get my hands on for a bit. it came up with a code 141 and pending 138. something to do with the O2 sensor.

Possibly the bad gas cooked your 02s or deposited a lot of crud on it. If you are willing and are mechanically apt, then remove the 02 sensor and look at it to see if its all cruddy or what.

141: o2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1, sensor 2)
138 (pending): o2 sensor circuit high volts (bank 1, sensor 2)

Re: Front Axle Posi-lock - any experience?

well I thought it was gone but I guess not!! that damned light came on again today while driving and hasnt shut off. so I guess I am going to have to drop the cash for a new o2 sensor?

I wonder if it's not a bad wire to the o2 or just a bad o2 since the primary fault is o2 heater circuit malfunction. One of the wires to the o2 is for the heater circuit so it may have been nicked, melted, shorted, or something.

I'm guessing bank 1 sensor 2 is after the converter, but just a SWAG guess. Maybe XJNick will know?

sounds good man. ill take a look at it in the moning and see if it has a shorted wire or the sensor itself is crap!! LOL

well I got both of them out just a bit ago and they both looked ok I guess. they had the rust color to them. (exhaust) and didnt LOOK burnt, but thats not saying they or one isnt. I did take a look at the wires and they look to be ok.
is there anything inpeticular that I should be looking for when check the O2 sensors out?

Bounty__Hunter said:
I'm guessing bank 1 sensor 2 is after the converter, but just a SWAG guess. Maybe XJNick will know?

That sounds correct. :mrgreen:

Unless you have a California emissions-regulated model, then I have no clue.
-Nick :!:

Calling all Cops!!!

nope no cali emissions here in utah. actually to be honest in my town we dont even have emissions laws!! :)

Back