rear sway bar?

AKASHAJEEP

High speed video

I have heard that it dosent really do much for the cherokee on road and off.
what is up with this? I come from a hot rod background origionaly and this is a vital part of rear traction!! why is it that most cherokee enthusits insist that it dosent do "anything" for the vehicle?

The rear sway bar, isn´t installed from the factory, with the heavier spring option (up country) on early XJ´s and is pretty anemic in it´s orginal form.
But as far as removing it, I´m against. Most peoples driving is on the street and anything that´s gonna reduce sway, in a sudden swerve (to miss that dog/child/car) is gonna reduce the chance of a roll over.
A little saying they drilled into our heads in the military, when learning to drive off road vehicles, was the saying "That a sudden turn, may mean sudden death".

The rear swaybar is very functional on a stock XJ. With lift springs or AAL's the rear springs are more firm and the rear swaybar makes it more so. I'm actually getting ready to go outside and yank mine. If it makes for a hairy ride I'll just put it back, but I doubt it will end up anywhere other than the shed.

if theyre anything like yj's, take it off and go to the recycling center

how many of you that have yanked the rear sway bar have had to do a panic lane change at highway speed since you have yanked it? That is when it does its job the most.

The rear sway bar just minimizes body roll around corners. Although it is not real strong it does help prevent rollover. Some people put sway bar discos in the rear for offroad. I still have the rear sway bar in my ZJ and even when I disconnect the front the rear still articulates first. You leaf spring guys might have different results.

Removed mine last night, not just disconnected, but yanked the whole thing. Drove to work, did a couple high speed lane changes, and took a couple windy roads pretty hard. I really can't tell a difference except the back end rides a lot smoother now.

With a ZJ I would definately leave it on. Coil springs are a whole different ballgame.

Rear leaf sprung axle... mine is going to the scrapyard.

The front swaybar is obviously a neccessity and stays.

thx for that info!!
I will deffinatly look into doing that now cause a smoother ride is deffinatly something that would help in the rear!!

Tough to compare the ZJ and XJ when talking about the rear swaybar, like mentioned the coil spring suspensions act completely different without them, unlike the leaf spring setups.

AKASHAJEEP said:
thx for that info!!
I will deffinatly look into doing that now cause a smoother ride is deffinatly something that would help in the rear!!

I would do a little "road testing". Not all vehicles handle alike - especially with different suspensions, but I suspect you'll be happy with it.

Yank it. It wasn't that big of a help with the factory setup, those heavier tires are making it even less effective now. You might not even notice it's gone....until you get to the trail.

i removed mine a few months ago - no problems on / off road...handles great

Back