A little squealing going on.

judge09

I have a 99 Grand Cherokee. I got new brakes and rotors installed a year ago. The dealership put on a 4 piston caliper on the front brakes instead of the normal 2. It was supposed to be better. Well I started hearing this squealing sound when I turn left (never when I turn right). I have a bumper to bumper warrenty so I took her into the dealership and the guy said the sound was from a little rust buildup on the caliper and it should go away. Well its been two weeks and it hasnt, I think its worse. Any clue what I can go back to them with? Thanks

could be a hard spot on the pad too.. did you check to see how much pad is left?

Just wanted to say thanks

Yeah I checked the pad. There is plenty there, Tug I will give the break cleaner a shot. Its weird it only happens when when I turn to the left.

Uh oh....sounds like something's amiss. With the supposed rust buildup, you now have something for debris buildup to bite onto. Try the brake cleaner thing. Have you looked at the caliper?

Obviously, logic tells you that contact is being made only when you turn...I'd tell them: "don't tell me it'll go away, MAKE it go away."

Trying to engage the dealership service manager in a thought provoking conversation is like talking to my 3 year old cousin about politics, you get a few yeps and smiles, but it all boils down to them wanting a cookie. I swear these guys have lawyer written sayings that are the only things they can pick from when talking to a customer. Obviously something is wrong fix it!

It is possible its the carrier allowing the axle to move too much causing the squeal.. or more likely a wheel bearing. I had one on my van that squealed only in a right turn.

I had a feeling it would be something like the wheel bearing. I just cringe when the dealership says its nothing and it will go away. Its never nothing.

Back