Ignition switch problems

dudster

My biggest problem right now is that I can't get the key to go into the ignition. Anyone have a solution? Also if I need to change out the ignition switch how can I do it without being able to turn the ignition over? Thanks for any and all replies.

It's a 1994 Cherokee Sport. I don't see any screws to take the steering column apart. I'm gonna take the sterring wheel off tonight to see if I can get to it. I just don't know how the rest of the column comes apart.

I´ve never taken the post 90 (air bag) steering column apart. But I can give you some generic tips. Get a manual!
Disconnect the ground from your battery and wait at least five minutes before messing with the steering column, disables the air bag sensors and gives the capacitors in the system time to discharge. Don´t want that sucker blowing up in your face.
Gonna need a steering wheel puller, no way without one, your just gonna screw it up. Mark the steering wheel and shaft, so you can get it back on, just how it came off.
Newer cylinder locks, take a special torx type tool (non tamper) torx with a hole in the end, for removale.
Just a rumor, don´t know for sure, but have heard the bolts holding the column to the dash, have to be removed, before the covers (top and bottom) over the column can be removed.
Non airbag column, I know much better.

Back