Power window shorting out...

Saurian

Every now and again, all the power window switches in the Jeep quit working, angering my friends when they go to roll down, and theirs are not working... It's like the window lock button is pressed; I have control of all the windows from the drivers seat, but they don't have it anywhere in the Jeep...

I'm thinking it's a short or something in my armrest console on the drivers door... Before I go and pull that apart, though, is there another thing that it would be, or am I on the right track? I expect either a loose wire, or something unhappy because I am notorious for leaving all my windows and sunroof open the night before it rains...

Transmission Selector Handle

What a coincidence! I have had the exact same thing happen to me for the past couple months in my 00 XJ. It comes and goes, so that will make it even harder to figure out. I have been dreading spending time chasing a bad wire just so somebody can roll down the window. I think it must be in the driver's arm rest or in the bundle of wires leaving the driver's door.

What year is yours, I forget? Let me know what you figure out!

That is the frustrating part for me too, it's never constant, sometimes it won't work for a week, sometimes it will work for a week, sometimes it'll work, not work, then work all day! I have the day off, I suppose I'm just gonna have to break down and pull it apart. Wish I had the garage, it's cold outside! I'll tell ya if I find anything.

So, I spent my day off with a screwdriver, and disassembled most of the front area of the Jeep, to do a couple projects that I have been meaning to get to...

Regarding the window switch... I figured that it was probably a short in the window lock switch that was causing the other windows switches to intermittently not work. So I opened up the armrest panel, and guess what I found...

Sneaky Daimler Chrysler...

I was expecting to find me a bunch of switches, hopefully with a shorted out wire harness on one of them, which would explain my problem... But I found a module... There are no individual switches, they are all in this module, with 2 wire harnesses going into it, and as near as I can tell, there is no way to just pull it apart and replace one switch, there's a printed circuit board in it, so I am sure that this would be one of those delightful surprises at the dealership... Ok, Mr. Ballantine, it looks like you will be needing a new Drivers Side Peripheral Control Module... Now, this part runs around the neighborhood of $75.00... We also blahblahblah...

So, I pushed the wiring into the wire harness plugs, and that seems to help, maybe one of them was just loose? The windows are operating without incident... I was thinking maybe some water got in there, but the way that the switches are designed, it would be very hard for water to get under them...

jay79cj7
What a coincidence! I have had the exact same thing happen to me for the past couple months in my 00 XJ. It comes and goes, so that will make it even harder to figure out. I have been dreading spending time chasing a bad wire just so somebody can roll down the window. I think it must be in the driver's arm rest or in the bundle of wires leaving the driver's door.

That's the best I've got regarding a solution... I pressed the wires in, maybe they were just poorly made harness plugs, or maybe this module is going bad... I have an '00 XJ as well, I remember you asking.

Well, maybe I will try doing the same. I sure don't want to buck up for a DC part again. The last one I bought was the resistor pack for the blower motor and that was almost $30 for that dinky thing. Thanks for the report!

Back