something smell like its burning!!

AKASHAJEEP

I fired akasha up this morning and take off and get half way down the drive and i smell something burning. description of that smell. kinda like a sweeter propane smell, or a sweet oil burning smell.
I did have the heater on high, but this isnt the first time it has been on as of lateley. (maybe the 4th or 5th time in the past week) just not nearly as hgih. I have only had to use the first 2 settings. this moring full blast!!

also my auto transmission fluid was a little low. 1/8 quart. im not sure if this had anything to do with what i was smelling, but i would like to try and figure this problem out before i take her out this weekend. (it has been raining here for two days straight :twisted: ) I'm going to go play in some mud!! :D

Maybe a seeping leak in the heater core, how's the coolant? You mentioned sweeter smell, that's the only idea I have...

Saurian said:
Maybe a seeping leak in the heater core, how's the coolant? You mentioned sweeter smell, that's the only idea I have...

That to was my first thought! Seems a heater core will go all summer with not a sign of a leak and when the weather gets the first hint of fall the dang things seem to know it's time to go to work! Murphy's Law I guess. tug

95 YJ for sale in TN

well I just got out there and checked all the fluids. 710 GOOD, transmission GOOD, brakes, GOOD, coolant GOOD, wiper fluid LOW as usuall, power steering. low not normal. this is also that sweet burning smell that i was smelling. I got under the cherokee and didnt find any leaks or anything. line look pretty good. no leaking at a preddure fitting or anything.

as soon as I smeled that ps fluid I knew that was the same thing.what else can i check without tearing the pump out of the rig? also in the year that i have had her i havent had to add any ps fluid at all. it has always stayed the exact same.

If the smell came thru the vents, I still would not overlook a very minor seeping leak in the heater core. This would not always leak under the vehicle. Check for dampness in the pass side floor near the fire wall.

Also when you fire a heater up the first time in for the season really good, it will stink some. You are smelling a summers worth of dust and junk that collects on the coils. If you have central heat in your home, you know that it smells when you first run the heater for the fall.
I run a foam cleaner that I inject into my airbox between the blower and heater core and it really cleans out the coils. The stuff that comes out of there can be nasty, mold, mildew, dust, etc..

i am hopeing that is all it really is. jsut a smelly old heater. I took her out today mudding anyways!! there was just so much rainfall, and i really couldnt help myself!! and she told me that everything would be ok!! (yes the jeep even talks back to me)!! and no im not crazy. (well maybe a litle but) with all i put her through today I think that something would have shown up and in a hurry.

You know, it may be the smoke from that new sig pic :shock: !

Both the transmission cooler lines and the power steering return line have a tendancy to rub on the steering box. look at the top of the steering box for a stain, pick up the lines and run your finger along the bottom, you can feel the notch where it/they have been rubbing. The inspection process goes a whole lot easier, if you take the air cleaner box out. The front bolt for the air cleaner box mount goes through the fender and is usually covered in rust and hard to get out, cleaning the threads that are poking through bottom of the fender well and oiling the exposed threads, makes removalea whole lot easier. Grease the bolts up good, before reinstallation, mkaes next time much easier. Be carefull of the heated air tube from the exhaust manifold to the air box, they get old and brittle and are expensive.

THX for the info guyz. hopefully this weekend i can get out there and take a closer look at all of the above ideas. right now, well all ican say is that school sucks!! LOL

Back