Rear tires rubbing

ROGLSTUBB

Just curious if any ZJ's our there rub the back tires on the fender well with 31's with approx 4" of lift. I not to concerned as it is not that bad and I had the my ZJ seroiusly flexed. The 31's are on the stock alum rims and the rear sway bar is still attached. I have never seen a post where the rear tires are rubbing so I was naturally wondering.

i got a 2" lift, and i have touched the fenders maybe twice when fully flexed with my 31's. my 31's are mounted on 15x8's though, so that could make a difference. you got rear bump stops in? you musta been really flexed for them to hit with 31's on 4"

I had my jeep seriously and I mean seriously flexed out. I was a little lazy and I did not even have the front sway disconnected( It was raining ) I did not even know it had rubbed till I came home and was checking for damage and I found some of the undercoat rubbed away from both sides of the inner fender well. Not even enough really to be concerned about. Bump stops would definatly do the trick but I am thinking now that if I had disconnected the front sway it may not have happened at all.

what width are your 31's? cause it could have been the fact that you have them mounted on factory 15x7's, so they would bulge out the side, which would also explain why you had rubbing where you said you did.

give us some more information too, like what type of lift you have (coils vs spacers) and like i said above, the width of the tires you have, cause i have 31x10.5 with 4" of backspacing, and like i stated, i think i've maybe touched once, possibly twice, and that was completely flexed out, and it just touched, not too much rubbing. so i'm really interested how you touched with 4" of lift.

Its a front to rear swap with skyjacker 3 inch lift springs in the front no spacer s as of yet. It netted me a even 4 inches all the way around. The tires are Wal-mart liberator 31-10.5 on the factory alum rims. I was crossing a small gully with some railroad tracks directly at the bottom. I crossed about 45 degrees or so had a slight bit of dificulty getting enough momentum to get the right front to cross the track as it was the first one down the side of the embankment so all the weight was on it. It was a fairly steep embankment I dragged my transfer case a little crossing the peak. this is when I suspect I rubbed I was already completly flexed out being on the side of the embankment and the extra force of having to pop the right front over the first track. On a possitve note this is the first time I have had a chance to really have some fun with it since I have put the 31's on there and it did everthing I asked of it.

Transfer Case Problems

i got a 2" lift, and i have touched the fenders maybe twice when fully flexed with my 31's. my 31's are mounted on 15x8's though, so that could make a difference. you got rear bump stops in? you musta been really flexed for them to hit with 31's on 4"

i second that. i have no clue how you have 4" with the swaybar connected and you rubbed. get some longer bumpstops!

ROGLSTUBB said:
The tires are Wal-mart liberator 31-10.5 on the factory alum rims.
that could be your answer right there. factory rims are 15x7. so you might have a bit more of a bulge in your 31's than i do in mine cause mine are mounted on 15x8's. hey i still rub in the front here and there when fully flexed, and as long as you dont burn out the tires when you're rubbin, no real harm done. glad to hear you finally got to test out your rig though.

also, you said no spacers as of yet......that mean you plan on putting them in? if so let me know how that works out for you, and what other parts you end up buying (i'm guessing, lower controll arms, brake lines, tcase drop to start). i ask cause i'm thinking about a F->R or 3.5" lift on top of the spacers that i currently have. seems we're working in opposite directions.

Back