Cherokee Brake lock-up

XJNick

I have a 1988 Jeep Cherokee w/ front disc and rear drums. Last month I replaced front calipers & pads; Rear shoes, wheel cylinders, & hardware. On rainy days when the Jeep has sat outside during the day, about the first 5 times I brake, the rear wheels lock up (trying to skid), no matter how lightly I step on the pedal. The brakes work fine after about 5 lock-ups. I always leave the parking brake on when I park, and it occasionally gets stuck on in rainy weather. In dry weather, I never have this problem, and the problem has only happened since I redid the brakes. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks[addsig]

Get in there and clean the rear drums up. If it working after you use it for a little, there might be some crap built up in there. Did you change out the rear wheel cylinders? That might be the next thing to look at if they continue to bind up.[addsig]

When I serviced the rear brakes I cleaned the insides of the drums with brake part cleaner several times, they were/are shiny (but maybe not completly round). I just remembered that I only changed one of the wheel cylinders. The problem has happened three times now. Every time I had the Parking brake on, and it was wet and raining outside. Sometimes the Parking brake gets stuck on. Is it possible crap can build up in there in about 7 hours due to the humidity or bad shoes
image-missing.png
. Should I have the drums turned? I can't tell if both wheels are locking up or not, I just feel a big loss of control until I brake 3-5 times, then I can stop normally. Thanks for the help[addsig]

again with your jeep. Do you have an ani-lock brake system? And if you do is the braking computer under the rear seat?[addsig]

I don't have ABS, that came to Jeeps in '89. Another thing I noticed about the Parking brake is this: if I let the car roll back just enough so the transmission catches it, the parking brake is much tighter and takes fewer clicks to engage
image-missing.png
. I had been applying the Parking brake before taking my foot off the brake, maybe the mistake. But problem still has only happened in wet weather, which is all we had the last few days
image-missing.png
.[addsig]

Parking brake adjusted to tight, or cables sticking in sheath somewhere due to rust or crud (often wear through where they rub on axle housing). Brake shoe adjusters not greased or frozen, set too tight at installation (self adjsuters). Poor fit of shoes to drum, may need arching. Sanding brake drum with 100 grit sandpaper in a cross pattern helps seating of shoes to drum (next best thing to arching). Self adjusters (brakes) should be installed rather loosely and then the vehicle backed up and brakes applied numerous times for adjustment.[addsig]

Thanks for all the responses! I know the rear adjusters aren't too tight, I adjusted them till there was just barely a drag as is said in the service manual. The Parking brake lines rusting is very possible since they are original
image-missing.png
. The drums weren't turned. However, the problem hasn't happened since the last time it rained (about 12 days)
image-missing.png
. Also, Now I always remove my foot from the brake before applying the parking brake (which makes it apply with fewer clicks of the handle.) Problem hasn't happened again. Thanks again.[addsig]

Back