some questions about gear

AKASHAJEEP

RE: East Chaicago to Elkheart and back!

I know this is going to take me a little while to get the cash for all that parts that are going to be required, but it is always best to know everything you are going to need before hand. Blueprinting!!

First off a little about the vehicle in question, 96 Cherokee sport, 4.0 ho, auto, with tow package. Currently 5.5" of lift in front 4.5" outback. Soon to be an even 5.5" all the way around.

I am not exactly sure what axle is under there either. I encounter some problems when I put the lift on with the U bolts. I thought that I have the Chrysler 8.25” rear end and I hope they sent me the correct bolts for that. But they wouldn’t fit over the axle. But here is the kicker. There ISNT a tag on the axle to say if it is the Dana or not. But there is a bunch of Chrysler markings on it so that is what leads me to believe that is what is under there.

It should be the 8.25. Do you have a pic of it? (The diff.)

Here is a pic of the 8.25 diff cover:
image-missing.png

One thing you'll notice about it is that it has a "lip" around the edge of it. Now, since you have a 96, you'll have the weaker 27 axle spleen version (sorry, you missed it by one year:? ). The 97 and newer have 29 spleen. So, if you are looking to upgrade, it's not a bad idea. When I bought my gears I didn't know the difference. Had I known that, I'd have gone Dana 44 before I plunked $ on the gears...but it's up to you. It's still a decent axle, but only about 15% stronger than a Dana 35. (according to what I've read)

The other problem with the 8.25, is that there are not many gear choices for it. The lowest you can go is 4.56 (Lower meaning higher #). I wanted to go a tad lower to 4.88.

If you are intending on sticking with 33's or lower, I'd stay with the 8.25 and pop in the 4.56....it's descent enough as long as your tires aren't ridiculously heavy (Like boggers).

But I intend on going bigger..and by the size of your lift, it sounds like you are too.:wink: Which I think is going to make your already cool XJ even cooler.

What's your gear question? :twisted:

it looks like it but ill go out tommorrow and take a pic to make certain.

as for the tires, well i would like to put 35's on there but i know that is going to cost alot more then what i really want to put in it. like you said might as well throw the D44 under there. and I deffinatly dont want to have to put new axles to accomidate the tires of choice.

umm boggers are kinda what i had in mind, but i see a lot of road time too and dont really want to replace tires at $200 a pop once a year. but need something that is going to be pretty aggressive when in the mud and on the rocks.

i guess one of the questions tha ti have about regearing is,
if i put on a 33X12.5 and 4.56 gears will i notice any performance losses or mpg losses? how will the rpm of the vehicle be affeceted by the gear and tire combo?
right now when the cruise is set at 70 i am just over 2100 rpm.

RE: Re: RE: 85 cj7 4wheel question

Well, I have that exact config. 4.56 and 33x12.5's. I have procomp xterrains, which I love BTW. The thing about them is that they aren't that heavy.

I've found that it "feels" almost like stock. But I'm not sure what my RPM's are like at 70mph, because (A) I haven't really checked, and (B) my speedo hasn't been adjusted so I wouldn't be sure that I'm going 70 mph anyway.

It's definetly comparable to stock power. But the gas mileage is worse.

Hope I've helped a little.

RE: Engine Oil Cooler

well i got out there today and checked the rear axle (didnt get any pics) but it has the "Llip" and that weird looking plug in the middle, so I am pretty certain now that it is in fact the 8.25" diff. THX in the help of that confrimation.

when you say almost is there like a little better launch or is it a little sluggish compared?
and what kind of gas miliage are you getting setup like that? is it like a total gas guzzler or just a little bit worse? LOL
sorry for all the questions but would really like to start getting all the parts together.
THX again!!

RE: voltage issue

also how would I find out what gears are in there already? this is the little bit of info that i have found on the net
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package
and the thing is that i have the 4.0 h.o. / auto transmission/ and the tow package

Back