no spark?

85zebracherokee

RE: Good Rock Crawler web vids

My brother has an 88 cherokee 4.0 auto. we just swaped in a new motor and now it won't start it will turn over but there is no spark. I started with the obvious and changed the crank position sensor, then the coil and ignition controler, and the distributor and cam posistion sensor. But still nothing. I'm all out of ideas and need some help.

Re: RE: I hooked someone

Hi,

Did you ever check for +12 volts to the ignition module and any wiring components upstream (such as the starter and main control relays)? I would do that long before buying any new parts.

-Nick :!:

Re: RE: Re: Hey Greenreaper!!!!

... I don't remember what it's called, but it's the little creature under the distributor, a round thing with a flat wire that plugs into something else... My dad had to replace it in his Scamp, he was getting absolutely no spark whatsoever till he replaced that part... Can't remember what the heck it is, or even if it exists in the 4.0...

Re: I am a Murderer

I know, all that darned mumbo jumbo... That's the closest description you're gonna get too, since my Dad's up north...

Hi,

Saurian said:
... I don't remember what it's called, but it's the little creature under the distributor, a round thing with a flat wire that plugs into something else...

If you are talking about the electrical device INSIDE the distributor (under the rotor), that is the Camshaft position sensor. (Not to be confused with the Crankshaft Position Sensor). This sensor has 3-4 wires in a flat harness. I'm not sure that this could cause a lack of spark.

If you are talking about the electrical device underneath the distributor altogether, the closest thing I can think of is the Oil pressure sensor (w/ a single wire), which I also don't think would prevent you from getting spark.

-Nick :!:

RE: want a 97+ xj

Hmmm... That sounds like it might be it, Camshaft position sensor... But then, I know it was directly related to the spark problem too... Than again, this was an '83 carbeurated 4-banger...

Back