Cherokee or Grand Cherokee? Choices? Questions ECT...

CJatGuy

Ok...Here's my choices...my dad wants to give me a new car for xmas...basically incentive to keep me from buying a Mustang before im done with college, and give me something more fun then my Shadow.

He has a 90 Cherokee 200k on the body which needs a repaint, rebuilt engine, transmission is showing signs of wear. Runs very well with rebuilt engine, gets 22-24mpg. Planning on lift and 31's.

He recently bought a 95 Grand Cherokee, 175k, everythings stock. Leather, power everthing, red, ect. Engine is tired, gets 16-18mpg.Planning on lift and 31's.

Which would you take?

Im planning on going with a Rusty's lift, but he's funding me, 3.5 inch on either one, whichever i take. Does Rusty have good prices, or could I find cheaper kits elsewhere?

I'd like to put Jerry Can's on whichever one i take, any ideas how or any kits?

Merry Xmas

Easy for me. I'd take the 90 Cherokee - just never cared for the Grands, although all the goodies are nice (if that's what ya want). If you don't take it, can I have it?? :lol: :lol: I've got a '95 Mustang convertible in my driveway (not running - not sure what's wrong) - we could work a deal! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Merry Christmas!!

If the XJ has the 4.0L I'd take that one since it's rebuilt. If it is the 2.8 I'd get the grand cherokee.

both have I-6's...

Anybody have any info on lift kits? Rusty's looks promising simply because for 300 some odd bucks you get the lift, brake line extension, and shocks, all of which the XJ needs...

well as far as lifts go, you dont need 3.5 on the zj for 31's. i have a 1996 zj with a 2" bb and 31's and it runs fine. so that could save you some money.

as far as which to go with, the tired engine would scare me away from the zj, and you'll have a much easier time finding parts for the xj. so even as a grand owner myself, i'd probably have a hard time turning down the xj in this situation.

dana 30 w/ ARB and 4.10

Hey bchcky, is it just me, or does the guy in the far left of your sig pic look like he just dropped a load in his britches.

As far as which Jeep to get, I'd take the Cherokee because of the lower cost to build and repair. Or.....I'd take the one worth the most, then sell it, and buy a SWB. :)

newyears run..........oregon

The ZJ will ride better, has fewer miles, and the 4.0L HO engine. The XJ has the Renix 4.0L, a little more problematic, less aftermarket support, less HP, and overall less desirable engine.

The ZJ is usually a little more costly when it comes to aftermarket suspensions, due to the rear being coil springs and more costly than the XJ's rear leaf springs.

Rusty has some good lifts at great prices, you won't be disappointed. Also check out Rough Country if you want to save some cash on a decent lift.

RE: Re: RE: adding a 2" lift to front

Junkpile said:
Hey bchcky, is it just me, or does the guy in the far left of your sig pic look like he just dropped a load in his britches.

Looks like you may have found Jason Alexander's stunt double from the movie Shallow Hal.

"Ya like dogs do ya?"

Junkpile said:
thats what he's doing! haha, thanks junk, i never really figured out what the facial expression signified.

ZJ all the way.. much smoother ride and you can get 31's with the 2" life like BCHCKY says... The ZJ is also much more flexy than the XJ because of the rear coils... Don't let the 175k scare you.. its just getting broken in.....

RE: yj parts

graewulf said:
Don't let the 175k scare you.. its just getting broken in.....
it wasnt that so much that scared me as the fact that he said the engine is tired. i mean you take an xj and zj, say same year, engine and mileage side by side, and you want to just run 31's on both, its cheaper to go with the zj for the lift and stuff. but when considering the specific vehicles that he mentioned, i only said the xj because he said the zj engine was getting tired.

Hi,

If you're worried about fuel economy, get neither. :p

But since I myself love Jeeps (and don't want to get flamed off this board :mrgreen: ), I'd choose the XJ Cherokee. I used to get 19.1 to 20.5 miles per gallon in my Cherokee. It has a manual transmission, which is more efficient than an auto would be. Though, I don't think 22 - 24 miles per gallon is possible in an Inline 6 Cherokee (at least, as hard as I tried, I could never achieve that).

-Nick :!:

Back