1993 Jeep Cherokee

RE: Electronic Plug

Regardless of the temp whenever I go to start the Jeep it will take 15 minutes and almost a drained battery, until without fail, the "check engine light" will come on and it will turn over and start immediately. I have taken this Jeep to a mechanic and he cannot get any reading on his diagnostic machine. Whole engine was replaced 3 years ago - NO Warranty. Some have suggested fuel pump needs to be replaced or relays. Sometimes after 10 minutes of trying to start the motor I will hear a ticking sound by the carburator and then it will sart immediately after.

First welcome to Jeepz. I would say checking to fuel pump to insure it is working would be a good place to start. It could be a sensor in the vicinity of your trottle body jeeps are fuel injected of this year and if your mechanic is telling you have a carb start by replacing mechanic.

Just thinking why the jeep would suddenly come alive and that trouble codes not being saved could be a bad connection to the computer. When the computer is disconnected from the battery it will reset the codes explaining why your mechanic is not getting anything on his diagnostics.

RE: down to one jeep

Welcome to the board!
If you take it to a mechanic and he leaves it overnight, he should had the same problem starting it in the morning. Whenever an engine won't start you need to sometimes get back to basics, fuel, compression, and spark, if one of these aren't there it will never start.
Good luck

One trick I have learned to test whether it is a fuel problem or a spark problem, is to use some starting fluid. Remove the rubber intake tube off of the throttle body. Have someone spray a very small amount into the trottle body as you crank the engine over. If it kicks and stalls right out you are not getting fuel. If it make no difference you need to look at maybe the ignition module or coil, check to See if you are getting spark. Just becarefule and spray very little in the intake. If you spray too much it might backfire out at you.

RE: Iraqi Election

I just replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor, but it didn't help...I am really frustrated...let me know if you find a solution (and I like-wise)...my mechanic was clueless, they had it for 2 weeks and couldn't figure it out...

Back