Off-Road Lights?!

SailorDave

JEEP SKI

I want to replace the 2 stock fog lights on the fromt of my 94 ZJ with 4 Off-Road lights, and put 2 on the front of the roof rack and 2 on the back.

Any suggestions on what kind of lights, how bright, how big?

RE: high speed

I always buy the cheaper (around $20 for 2) ones at places like autozone. They're pretty dam bright, and if they brake...you're not out $500+.

The ones I have now on the front bumper of my truck are about 5"x 3" square shaped.
Then I've got two (about 2.5") cheap fog lights on the frame in the front, pointing down on the ground.
And two more like the ones on the bumper, mounted in the rear in the frame.

That is just my opinion though.

RE: Car is clunking in 4x4...help lots of snow tonight

I agree with getting cheap lights. It is much easier to hear them break than the real expensive ones. I bought the "Harbor Freight specials" for both my roof rack lights and replacement fog lights. You can always take the 55 watt bulb that comes in most cheap lights out and replace with a 100 watt for more output but do make sure you use a relay to wire them up. I use two 100 watt lights on the bumper using the stock wiring with relay, run two more 100 watt lights on a cut down XJ cross rail on the stock roof rack facing forward on another relay, and four 55 watt lights two facing rearward and two facing out two the sides on a third relay. I have room to add two more to the roof rack if I needed but the four 100 watt lights facing fowards lights things up pretty well.

Let me guess the stock foglights lens just popped out. Mine did that as I was braking up to a stop light I watched it go sliding across the intersection and hit the curb a shatter. I still have one complete fog light in my closet I send you for the cost of shipping if you want to keep it stock. but replacing with new lights would be my choice too.

Hi,

ROGLSTUBB said:
You can always take the 55 watt bulb that comes in most cheap lights out and replace with a 100 watt for more output but do make sure you use a relay to wire them up.

Be careful here.... most light fixtures have a lamp wattage rating to prevent the fixture from melting or overheating due to the heat output of a larger lamp.

Also, as a side note, just remember that a Watt is a measurement of power consumed (in this case electrical power), NOT light output. Light output is measured in Lumens. So check the Lumen rating of the lamps you're comparing before assuming that the higher wattage lamp is the brightest. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

RE: Riddle Me This?

lol who needs lights. I don't plan on 4 wheelin at 4 am, unless i'm doing some stealin'...

For a good bright light, I like 'em hella 550's. They bolt right onto the bumper and provide fantastic light. I had 4 on my old Jeep.
about 60 for 2 including wiring harnesses.

JHoersten2 said:
lol who needs lights. I don't plan on 4 wheelin at 4 am, unless i'm doing some stealin'...

I don't know about where you live, but it gets dark here at like 5:00 or so right now. I surtainly like to wheel past 5...and much later even.

Lots of people go wheeling at night.

Or if you get stuck out there when the sun is going down...it really sucks when you can't see around you

Back