E-brake??

AKASHAJEEP

ok damnit!! LOL I got the 1.5" shackels on and had to take the old e brake cables off because they are now too short!! LOL not hte cables but the housings!! LOL
what can i use to get back an ebrake? I am sure there is another vehicle in the parts store that will do the trick but umm which one?

Re: RE: Re: Cherokee purchase, what model is best?

Hi,

My e-brake cables were too short on my Cherokee after I installed two battery boxes under the rear seat and had to route the cables around them.

To fix this problem without having to buy longer cables, I did the following:

First I removed the E-brake cable housings from their clips which hold them to the vehicle body. I then cut two small pieces of "L" channel steel and drilled holes in them to accept the cable housings. I welded these new holders to the body, farther back than the old one's were. Pushed the cable housings through them until they snapped into the new holders.

Then I removed the nut which holds the cable bracket to the threaded rod which comes out through the floor. I then welded a standard size, grade eight nut to the old nut, to lengthen it and effectively make a coupler. I then re-installed the nut/coupler on the e-brake rod which comes through the floor, and installed a piece of all thread in the other end of the coupler. I then slid the cable bracket onto the newly lengthened rod and adjusted it appropriately.

I know it sounds hard, but it really wasn't (assuming you have access to a welder). This solution cost practically nothing and IMO was much easier than tracking down longer cables. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Back