xj motor ?

rchieboy96xj

hello people . i have some ? s that need answering , i have a 96 xj with a 4.0 i6 in it . i put in it a k&n intake kit ,a stage 2 jet perfom chip , 180 degree thermostat,i hollowed out the cat , my own costom exhaust with a 40 series flowmaster muffler,high performance pluggs ,live wires with cap ,rotor and screamin demond coil. i wanna rebuild the motor i dont know how to get more power out of the same motor witout upgrading to a v8 .but i dont wanna go that route unless i have no choice . was thinking of boring it out or maybe turn it into a stroker so if ay one has in info on what i should do and were to get the parts let me know.

Search the web for things like '4.0 stroker' or 'jeep stroker' or 'cherokee stroker'. There is a ton of info out there that google can find for you.

Good choice on making it a stroker, that engine has a lot of potential without having to go through the headache and hassle of swapping in a different engine. Don't forget a performance cam.

You can usually pick up a 4.0 for a few hundred bucks, I'd build it up as much as possible before taking your XJ out of commission.

I put a Mopar Performance cam in my 2.5L and it makes a world of difference, compliments the other engine mods well. I had to swap out the valve springs to accomodate the extra valve lift.

Yet another crazy and overzealous Jeep seller on Ebay...

I was just curious as to what you needed the power for?

I mean a good running 4.0 should give you plenty of torque for the trail and highway and they are usually very bulletproof and will give over 200,000 mile service.

If you are looking for massive hp, I don't know if a v-8 will fit in an XJ, but if so, convert it over and run stoked 350 with a turbocharger with nitrous and grab all the gusto you can get :lol: :lol:

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: and then I find this out....

there is a lot of info out there for the stroker... i think its a GREAT idea... i picked up a 4.0 for 50 bucks... i was supposed to get a 258 for 40 bucks, but never picked it up. PM me if you have questions about the stroker, i've researched it pretty heavily

RE: Daimler chrysler and warranty

I ran a 4.7 stroker in my old Cherokee. It was a BLAST. I turned those 33's/35's with no gear changes! running 33's I could smoke a stock Mustang GT.
Just make sure you have a quality shop do the work for you.

Any questions, PM me.

RE: suspension

well thats the kit i want to use is the 4.7 275hp 0.060 over . i have to find the parts and i do plan on rebuilding it my self so any help or little notes will help

there are MANY different target horsepowers you can go for with it.. there's many ways to build

now that im gonna have much more hp then when it was stock am i gonna have to upgrade to abetter trans and transfer case or is the stock ax 15 and np231 strong enofe for the extra ponys ,tires and locker

You should be alright with the AX15 and 231, they'll take quite a bit of power.

RE: 31x11.50 Super Swampers

What are the plans for the axles?

You need to upgrade to a wider chain and a heavy output on the NP231 with the torque you'll be making. The AX15 might survive, depending on your driving style. With a hopped up stroker, you're beyond it's torque capacity. Running lower(higher numerically) axle gears will help them survive, as well as keeping the vehicle weight as low as possible.

I wouldn't even run 33s without some sort of subframe beefing. A full length set of subframe connectors,or stiffeners, is easy enough to fab up.....or order.

I like the bigger tire plans that you mentioned in another post though......that thing would be sweet on some 35s

RE: Re: RE: Chat room Sunday at 9:00 est

some thing that did cross my mind was, i was on the quadratec web site and i saw this kit . its an nv4500transmission with a atlas 2 transfer case, its costly but i think its worth it in the long run. only one problem i dont know if i should do this and the kit is for an 87-01 wrangler so i dont know its will match up.i am asuming it does as long as i get the kit with what i have under the hood. any suggestions?

RE: TFI is it all it is cracked up to be?

i also heard of ticking noises when the motor getts warm,something about lifter hight and are yella terra hi performance roller rockers any good?

Back