is it drive line vibes?

AKASHAJEEP

RE: transmission tidbits

please tell me there is another solution to this problem and not having to dorp 500 on a new driveshaft!!
ok after the 1.5 addition to the rear, when I take my foot off the accelorator, I am hearing a disengaging type sound that seems to be comming from the transfer case, when i apply the pedal it soundz like it reengages and is comming from teh same place. I have already put in a 1" trans case drop. is there anything else I should lookinto before droping the money for a new driveshaft?

should I look into some axle shims or something like that? where can i get those at? one more thing how do I check the angles on the rear drive shaft? what are the placements of the angle finder?

THX in advance for help in finding this problem. also i am oging to put up some pics of the new parts that were installed recently!!

I'd suggest trying out some shims first. I was having that same problem with my old XJ. I put in 2 degree shims. It certainly made the vibes go away 90%.

ok i had the same problem with my xj after i put 4.5 in of lift in it . the first thing i recommend is up gradeing from strap and bolt on all the yokes to u bolt design. iv learned that the straps streach causeing vibration.i also put a slip yoke eliminator kit in it . after that i took a wagonier rear driveshaft because there heavier and stronger. i brought it to a driveshaft shop an i had them cut it to size and on the transfer case end put a cv type end . a cv type end is a constant volosity system that works great and it solved my problem .so u could do that.

RE: rear end

rchieboy96xj said:
ok i had the same problem with my xj after i put 4.5 in of lift in it . the first thing i recommend is up gradeing from strap and bolt on all the yokes to u bolt design. iv learned that the straps streach causeing vibration.i also put a slip yoke eliminator kit in it . after that i took a wagonier rear driveshaft because there heavier and stronger. i brought it to a driveshaft shop an i had them cut it to size and on the transfer case end put a cv type end . a cv type end is a constant volosity system that works great and it solved my problem .so u could do that.

I appreciate you letting me know taht but again I dont want to have to drop $500 for the sye&driveshaft right now. that is something that I willl look at in the future, but no way I could do that right now. and of course it has to be my daily.

I didnt have any probs with vibes when the rear sat at 4.5", but with the addition of the shackels, it is just that disengaging and reengaging type sound. still dont have any vibes that I can feel comming through the cab. I will look into the shims for sure.
could someone point me in the direction to get a set? LOL THX

RE: Wiring: york oba, cigarette lighter socket, radio

AKASHAJEEP said:
Snitty said:
you best look into replacing the ujoints while you're at it

why?? something I am missing here?
again something im missing with the ujoints? (sorry to bring a post out of the dead like this but I would like to find out about this kind of stuff before hand so i can get all the parts needed before i dive in!!

also one more thing about the shims, umm what degree should I get? width too? remember with 4.5" lift in the rear I had no problems with vibes(at least none that I could hear or feel inside the cab) but with the 1.5" shackels it is very apperant. yeah yeah 6" with a stock DS!! :oops: LOL I'm not lifting any higher though!! LOL :twisted:
THX guyz!!

IcyFridge said:
Wow. 6" with a stock DS? Now your'e encouraging me to go 4.5" with my stock DS.

I swear on all jeepz!! that I had a tru 4.5" of lift in the rear. even if it didnt look like it to some, by the ways of measureing I know of (center of rim to bottom of fender) she measured 4.5" in the rear and 5.5" in the front. and with no audible or feelings of drive line vibes at all. she is now measuring 5.5' in front and 6" in the rear. but ther is some kind of vibes comming thorugh now:(

Yours is an older model, so that could play a role in less vibes. My 95 had about 4.5" with stock EVERYTHING! except control arm drops.

Cherokee Trans and Transfer Question

just checking to see if my name still works sorry for any interuption

Back