1997 Grand Cherokee Limited

jeepsnsoccer

RE: Check out my new decal!

This summer I might have the opportunity to get a 97 Limited Grand, and I was just wondering what you guys think it would be worth. I might get it from my girlfriends dad, and he has driven the thing since mile number 1 and he never offroads it and never drives it hard. It has 138,000 miles on it, but he says the transmission isn't in very good shape. He doesn't want to sell it to me because he thinks it will just be a huge problem. I have driven it a lot and I can't tell what he is talking about, so I don't think it is a huge deal. My point to him is if he sells it to me cheap enough, I can just put the extra money towards a new transmission if that's what it comes down to. If the jeep has never been offroaded and never been driven hard, i don't tihnk 138000 miles is that big of a deal, but does anyone think it is? I love the vehicle. It is loaded to the hilt with all the bells and whistles and if I could get it for cheap then I could have my very first jeep this summer, which would be awesome. What does everyone think?

140k miles on any vehicle is alot. There are going to be repairs down the road. But if you can get it real cheap then it might be worth it to you. As you said the extra money you could use towards repairs. The sticking point for me would be initial price.

RE: Paragon Feb 19th

138000 on a GC is not bad.. I have over 150 on mine and so far idler pulleys and alternator are all I've had to replace on it. Cheap repairs if you do it yourself.

graewulf said:
138000 on a GC is not bad.. I have over 150 on mine and so far idler pulleys and alternator are all I've had to replace on it. Cheap repairs if you do it yourself.

I think graewulf's GC is an exception to the norm. I have a 99 GC with 60k miles and have had made my fair share of repairs. I wouldnt put the GC up there with the reliability of a toyota or volvo, but they are well made and as long as you dont expect a 100% maintence free vehicle you should be ok for a while.

but what would you say about price though? how much would you say I should pay. If I had to plan on replacing the transmission possibly, what do you think it's worth? i think it's listed for about 5k on blue book.

I think the blue book value is a little low that you posted. My wifes 97 GC laredo trim is still around 6K although it has less miles. I have had good luck with my two Grands as well. Aside from normal tune-ups I have only replaced the fuel sending unit in the 97 for a whopping price of $25. I have had the 97 two years and put 15000 miles on it and now sits at 90000 miles. My 94 has 122000 miles on it I have had to replace a transmission sensor for a $110 in the last year that I have had it. The previous owner of it kept all the past maintenance records in the glove box. The only thing you might not consider to be normal maintenance was the starter and a battery. As far as what it worth is up to you. I have found that the Grands that I own have been reliable but not everybody is so lucky. If you feel that it is worth replacing the transmission and believe the rest of the jeep is mechanically sound. Find out what it would cost to have the transmission either redone or replaced and subract that from you feel is the fair market value.

You should also think about how long you are planning on keeping the jeep. If you paid $5000 + an estimated $2000 in repairs over the next 3 years that comes to $7000 or $194 a month. This is provided you have the $5000 and dont need a loan. Obviously with a loan it will be more. I was in a similar situation the summer after my freshman year in college. I didnt have the $5k though. I went to a jeep dealership and ended up getting a brand new TJ for $202 a month lease for 3 years no money down. All my maintenance was covered and it was a brand new vehicle. Just something to think about.

Back