drive shaft angles? what should they be? help!!

Following this thread has been very interesting............THIS is what "forums" are all about!!!! Glad you got helped out, AKASHAJEEP, and glad you're appreciative! You know I like your sig, no matter how big it is ('course, I've got cable :p ). A big thumbs up to all involved!

mud4feet said:
Following this thread has been very interesting............THIS is what "forums" are all about!!!! Glad you got helped out, AKASHAJEEP, and glad you're appreciative! You know I like your sig, no matter how big it is ('course, I've got cable :p ). A big thumbs up to all involved!

ahh the wonderfull world of the internet!! you get the best possible real world experience, and get to meet some new people in the process!! you know maybe I would have just continued driving her around if I hadnt known about the real culprute involved with the vibes. I think we all know what would have happened. and then still I wouldnt have known what a SYE kit was!! LOL

I admit I knew the sig was a bit big but it has so many little details that get skwed when compressed :( LOL its cool though. and thx for the complimentes!!! I'm kinda prone to it myself!! lotz of time and hard work there.

and everyone getz a beer on me!! now if I could jsut find that damn smily you would all have it!! LOL THX again!!

Sure do miss you all!

Actually it didn't bother me either, i was just trying to be funny. I have DSL

I'm sure our dialup friends did appreciate it though!

yep. I got dialup here and that is the only reason why I mentioned it!

That sig picture is still really cool though!!!!!!

Hi,

I'm confused. You say you don't want to spend alot of money, but you're getting a SYE kit and a CV driveshaft???

I still think lengthening the driveshaft (after installing shims) would fix the problem for a reasonable price. The vibrations are likely because you have the slip yoke just barely engaged. This doesn't necessarily mean you've ruined anything... YET. If you don't fix it, you do risk doing some major damage back there if that driveshaft ever falls out of the slip yoke. :shock:

-Nick :!:

RE: Question to moderators

XJNick said:
Hi,

I'm confused. You say you don't want to spend alot of money, but you're getting a SYE kit and a CV driveshaft???

I still think lengthening the driveshaft (after installing shims) would fix the problem for a reasonable price. The vibrations are likely because you have the slip yoke just barely engaged. This doesn't necessarily mean you've ruined anything... YET. If you don't fix it, you do risk doing some major damage back there if that driveshaft ever falls out of the slip yoke. :shock:

-Nick :!:

well after I pulled the driveshaft completly. I found that ther is way more than enough play for that driveshaft. the output shaft is like just over 3" long and I was showing like .5" of it. I didnt notice this before as I didnt take that rubber boot off and put the driveshaft back on. but yet the slip yoke still moves in an up and down motion. I took the shaft back off and (laying on my back) pushed up on the output shaft on the TC and I could hear something like gears or something hitting or clicking together. kinda like a torque wrench doing its thing but not as loud and not giving nearly as much. if that makes any more sense. didnt sound really good to me. and might be the beginings of that shaft giving way. I also took the DS over to the vise and checked the ujoints and they are rock solid. so that eliminates them out of the equation.

I am not sure what to do now. I dont want to drop that money on a full SYE, but if that is how I can get my jeep back on the road again then that is what it is going to have to be. serisouly guyz I am almost to the point of saying f*ck all this and putting the stock crap back on there. I am tired of all these problems that arise out of nowhere.

RE: Re: RE: Re: This one was done RIGHT!

88Wrangles said:
yep. I got dialup here and that is the only reason why I mentioned it!

That sig picture is still really cool though!!!!!!

THX!!!!!!!!
glad that everyone likes it so much!!

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Signature pic requirements

Ok I just went out in the shop and took a couple of pics to help show you guyz what I am working with here.

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

I know this isnt the cleanest pic to work with but the teeth do look pretty good inside there.
image-missing.png

AKASHA asking for your help!!!!
image-missing.png

Re: RE: A Whole Year Already?!?

TwistedCopper said:
Your shackles should have rotated the rear pinion upward - probably more than shims would. I think that the vibes you have probably won't be alleviated from shimming the axle, but you're welcome to try.
Looking at those pics only confirms what I wrote earlier, shimming will do nothing for your problem, it may even make it worse. Your shackles have the pinion rotated enough for a decent angle. Your driveshaft has become too short. You need to either:

A. Get a longer driveshaft, If you do you might as well make it a CV type and do a SYE. The Rubicon Express "Hack and Tap" SYE kit is only around $80, you just have to make sure you do it right!

or

B. Again, as I indicated 3 times already in this thread the $30 option:
TwistedCopper said:
This angle, that angle... drop the TC another 1/2"

Jeeperz

The Hack&Tap (H&T) SYE is a good viable option for only $80. Then get a stock front XJ driveshaft and have it shortened to fit. Takes a $60 adapter to the front of the doublecardan to bolt up to the flange included in the RE H&T. I've got all the parts I need to do this on my YJ, using a TJ mainshaft and tailshaft housing. It's an option for ya, will cost about 1/2 or less of a normal SYE and CV shaft.

Your tailshaft shouldn't move up and down any, this is your mainshaft through the transfer case and it shouldn't have any play.

According to your measurements, looks like the pinion is 5º too high, likely caused by lift shackles. If you've got shims, you'll need some with less angle if you want to keep the lift shackles.

As TC metioned, a little more TC drop may bring the TC tailshaft down approx. 5º, giving you the same results with less breakover angle. You make the call on which means to the same end.

Back